We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car parking

Belluno, Italy
Level Contributor
161 posts
Save Topic
Car parking

Hi! My gf and I are staying in Wellington on 2 special days: 24th and 25th December '14. We are getting there from Picton via Ferry. I haven't opt for a car agency yet, but I'm likely to chose Apex which allow people to take the car on the ferry. This is a bit of a mixed blessing because then I'll have to park the car (in Italian city that's always a nightmare). Motels which can offer private parking are not that common. Do you have any suggestion about a not expensive car parking in Wellington, if I couldn't find a motel in good location with private parking?

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
675 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car parking

Would it cost too much to turn in the car in Picton and then pick up a new one when you are ready to leave Wellington and go driving again? Because you don't need a car for Wellington as you can easily walk around the downtown and waterfront. Te Papa Museum, on the waterfront, is open every day of the year. You could spend hours there. In fact, Wellington is a great city for walking, though it can be windy, sometimes foggy and cloudy.

The Cable Car, which has good views over the city and will take you up to the top of the Botanical Garden, does not operate on Christmas Day. Zealandia, a wonderful wildlife sanctuary right in the city, is also closed on Christmas Day. But when it's open, it's possible to catch a free shuttle to Zealandia from near the I-Site tourism office about 5 minutes walk from Te Papa, or from the top of the Cable Car.

If you like to see the view from Mount Victoria lookout, you would need to drive or take the bus. Wellington has a good bus system, but I would think the service will be greatly reduced on Christmas Day. Christmas Eve should be normal service. NZ also has a holiday called Boxing Day, which is the day after Christmas, most places are open except for banks and post offices. Shopping is a favorite Boxing Day activity.

I stayed in a motor inn in central Wellington with free parking many years ago, but I wouldn't recommend it to you as they haven't taken good care of the place! But if you look at the Trip Advisor listings for Wellington accommodation, you can zoom in on the map. You will see several motor inns in the downtown area.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
675 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car parking

If you are keen on walking and the weather is nice, another thing you can do on Christmas Day is walk through the Botanical Garden, starting from the bottom and walking up to the top.

…govt.nz/recreation/…visitor-information

New Zealand
Level Contributor
4,946 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car parking

You could book accommodation with free parking. The most central I know of is Victoria Court Motor Lodge. Capital View Motor Inn is also reasonably convenient.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
746 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car parking

Why don't you collect the car on the 26th in Wellington? The city is so busy on the 24th with everyone doing their last minute chores and parking is a nightmare anywhere. Wellington is very accessible by foot but if you do need to bring the car with you from Picton I am sure a quick internet scan of likely motels or hotels will let you know if they have free parking or not.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,927 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car parking

If you use the Trip Advisor pull down menus above, you will find there is a category for "hotels with parking". The first to come up is the Apollo Motor Lodge. I used to live near there & always thought it was in a brilliant location, just behind Bats Theatre & a minute's walk from Courtenay Place bars & restaurants.

Belluno, Italy
Level Contributor
161 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Car parking

@PassarinhoAzu, @Kiwi-crawler Actually I would like to turn in the car in Picton and collect another one in Wellington on the 26th morning, but this seems to cost 160$ more (Toyota Corolla - 0 Excess) according to the quotes returned by the online form I have filled in. Of course for the second option I had to get two separate quotes: one for the SI and another for the NI and the latter has a more expensive daily rate. I could try to ask Apex for a custom quote.

@Selsy Yesterday I contacted Capital View Motor Inn and I've been told they provide FREE onsite parking for their guests. Their rates are also reasonable.

@zhuhai2007 I'm sorry, I haven't noticed "hotels with parking" search. I tried to zoom in on the map and check the motels details. I'll keep on searching... even if I better collect another car on the 26th: having a car in Wellington seems to be a con and not a pro because everything is at walking distance.

Thanks!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
4,946 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car parking

I'm pleased you've already found Capital View Motor Inn, and that it fits your budget. Victoria Court Motor Lodge, while being a bit more central, is also more expensive I think.

Whatever you decide to do, whether it is booking a motel with free parking or booking 2 separate cars, it would be advisable to make a decision soon, as your dates are peak holiday period. There are not a lot of motels with free parking in central Wellington, and they are likely to be popular with people driving to or from the South Island. There will also be a greater demand for rental cars then.

Belluno, Italy
Level Contributor
161 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Car parking

Your are right Selsy. I better book a motel as soon as possible. Capital View Motor Inn seems to be a good option even if I shouldn't have any car. Then I have to make up my mind whether booking 2 separate cars or not.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
301 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car parking

Parking is not very expensive in Wellington by international standards - under $20 per day for the most expensive parking buildings and many around $10 - there's free parking on public holidays available also. I'd consider keeping the car.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
675 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car parking

I'm glad you found a satisfactory solution. Wellington is a beautiful city.