We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wildlife viewing from Dunedin

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
242 reviews
Save Topic
Wildlife viewing from Dunedin

Planning a trip to Ortago peninsula in rental car from Dunedin. Just wondering how easy is it view birds, penguins etc without taking a tour? Best spots? Thanks very much.

8 replies to this topic
Oz
Level Contributor
14,677 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wildlife viewing from Dunedin

Hi,

Sorry you need to take a tour as most areas are on PP. Obviously you will see plenty of birds on the wing but without a tour you won't get to the Albatross breeding areas. Local knowledge or a tour is needed for the penguins too. Seals and sea lions are all along the coastal headlands and beaches, never get too close and never, never get between the ocean and the critter.

Cheers,

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wildlife viewing from Dunedin

Oh well a tour it is then! Appreciate your advice very much - especially not standing in way of the escape route.

melbourne
Level Contributor
255 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wildlife viewing from Dunedin

Visited the Albatross Sanctuary today & not worth the $50 tour price. There are 4 albatrosses each sitting on an egg & was only told later (not by them) that you are unlikely to see one flying as they rarely leave the nest. You can walk around the area for free & see lots of different birds & seals. The views are great.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,642 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wildlife viewing from Dunedin

I must agree, I have never been tempted to pay for an Albatross Sanctuary tour. The only time I know I saw an albatross was when an Elm Tour guide pointed it out (from the carpark outside the Sanctuary). I know they are much much bigger than seagulls and this is obvious once one is pointed out to you but from a distance it is hard.

There is a free penguin viewing area just below the albatross car park but I have never been there in the evening. An Elm Tour will take you to private areas with penguins, seals and sea lions (and may be able to point out an albatross on the wing). I have often seen seals and sea lions (and once a penguin) while hiking around my home town but it is a bit hit and miss.

Oz
Level Contributor
14,677 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wildlife viewing from Dunedin

Hi,

If you do a tour on Doubtful Sound it's almost certain you will see Albatros on the wing, which is where they spend most of their lives, flying/fishing :-)

Cheers,

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wildlife viewing from Dunedin

We have spent 30 hours on Doubtful Sound last week but didn’t see an albatross - that we knew of anyway! We’re not too fussed about them if rather sparse and appreciate your kind replies so will stick to the yellow eyed birds instead! About to head into Dunedin to get advice about them and the Gorge train trip. Weather bit cloudy here!

Edited: 21 November 2017, 02:44
Preston, United...
Level Contributor
5,063 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wildlife viewing from Dunedin

Likewise we never saw an albatross on our overnight on Doubtful Sound - maybe it's only at certain times of year?

Anyway, the Elm tour is excellent. We did it with the Monarch cruise around the headland as well and did see albatross on the wing and also at a distance on their nests (less impressive).

Maybe of little use to the OP but if you're really interested in albatross then the Albatross Encounter at Kaikoura is the thing to do - you get within touching distance of them (but don't if you want to keep a full set of fingers).

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wildlife viewing from Dunedin

Yes we saw lots more albatross on our whale watching trip at Kaikoura - so many thanks for your advice John. We did visit the albatross centre at Ortago and saw one. Was fun them flying along side our catamaran on the whale search trip! Great country here - we’ve loved every minute of our 6 weeks and so sad to be leaving in 3 days.

Reply to: Wildlife viewing from Dunedin
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted