We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how far to jackson bay

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Topic
how far to jackson bay

Hi, I'm trying to figure out how long it will take to drive a motorhome from Haast to Jackson Bay and if the road is ok to drive on. A google search gave me more than 3 hours, is this right? My son wants to visit the area because of family connections but may consider if it is such a long drive. Thanks

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
3,111 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how far to jackson bay

Nothing like 3 hours. I would think 1 hour or less. Only done it once. We drove from Te Anau to Haast, checked into the hotel & had a coffee & short rest, then drove to Jackson Bay. We were back at the hotel in time for dinner.

THe road is fine. I remember it as being sealed, but if it's not, then it's a good gravel surface.

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how far to jackson bay

Its only about 45 km on a sealed road, I've personally never driven it, but it can't be more than an hour, probably less from Haast - definitely not 3 hours.

Aylesford, Uk
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how far to jackson bay

I did the drive in December. It was OK even in the very heavy rain that

was coming down! The road surface is fine and Jackson Bay is an interesting place to visit. Make sure you visit The Cray Pot for a drink and something to eat! The trip will take about an hour(ish) from Haast.

Have fun!

Geoff

Durango, Colorado
Level Contributor
118 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how far to jackson bay

I think the Cray Pot is the only thing in Jackson Bay!!!! LOL!!

Be sure you get there before she closes at 7:00 p.m. We made it just in the nick of time.

Queensland...
Level Contributor
153 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how far to jackson bay

We too are planning to drive from Haast to Jackson Bay on our trip this coming September - simply to eat at the Cray Pot (we've heard so much about it). My question is: is there anything else to see ON the way? Heard about seal colonies and penguins on other travellers' posts, are they easy to spot?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
205 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: how far to jackson bay

The roads ok,although heavy rain made road impassable for 3 hours when i was down there last. Waited for high tide to recede before ploughing through the water in a little Toyota corolla.Compounding that problem same day was a 8 hour wait in the Haast pass due to rock slide. Drove carefully through that mess scrapping rocks on bottom of vehicle along the way.Rental car been through tough times that day. Never seen so many waterfalls that day,drive round the corner another waterfall flows overtop of your car.

7. Re: how far to jackson bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 15:19