We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Borland Road - Lake Manapouri

Stuttgart, Germany
Level Contributor
45 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Borland Road - Lake Manapouri

Hello,

I bought a book about National Parks in New Zealand ( Eric Dorfman and DOC, inside New Zealand's National Parks, Pinguin Books, 2007). In the Fiordland section there is a map (p.226) showing a road called the Borland Road, heading from Monowai directly to the southern end of Lake Manapouri. I did not find much about this road on the web. Did anyone ever drive it? Does it really lead all the way to Lake Manapouri? If not, are there any other roads\4WD Roads to Lake Manapouri?

Thanks for your help!

Dennis

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,849 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Borland Road - Lake Manapouri

I would doubt very much if it wereopen to the public either with or with out permission.

the road goes as far as south arm, then up the ridge, but there s a bluff which was too dificult to build a road over.

The road was built to build te trasmission line from West Arm to tiwai Point.

It was neevr used to carry anything to west arm but all the trasmission towers were carried in there on J6 bedford trucks. I remember when the power station was still under construction when a movie was played at the picture theater called 'The Line' and was a local movie of the building of the transmission line.

Communication with either Doc or maybe the power company which runs the Power station may be able to give you some idea about access.

sorry im not much help

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Borland Road - Lake Manapouri

THe Borland Road is open for public access, but it is a private road, and there may be issues with using a rental car on it. Access is at DOC's discretion, but mostly the gate is left open. Very interesting drive, but as Coaster says, it doesn't get as far as West Arm.

Stuttgart, Germany
Level Contributor
45 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Borland Road - Lake Manapouri

Thanks for your quick reply. If the road doesnt go all the way to the west arm, would it be possible to walk there from the end of the road?

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,849 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Borland Road - Lake Manapouri

I dont think the term 'walk' would be appropriate, maybe climb abd abseil to meet the rest of the transmission road up from West Arm

Stuttgart, Germany
Level Contributor
45 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Borland Road - Lake Manapouri

Thanks for all your help. When I posted this question here 2days ago I also wrote to the DOC in Te Anau. They have replied now to me and in a very friendly email they confirmed that the road is open for public and does indeed head all the way to the south arm:

"The Borland Road provides access into Te Wāhipounamu South West New Zealand World Heritage Area. It travels through Beech forest up to the tree line at the Borland Saddle before traversing back down into Beech forest. The Borland Saddle and the Grebe Valley lookouts provide stunning views of the area. The road ends at the South West Arm of Lake Manapouri.

The road provides access for trampers, hunters, mountain bikers, anglers, kayakers and those wishing to take a backcountry scenic drive."

Well I am gonna find out for myself and write a little travel report to the forum here next year about how it went.

Thanks for everbodies help,

Dennis

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Borland Road - Lake Manapouri

Thanks for the info Dennis and I look forward to your trip report. The next time I'm down that way I might have to take my jeep for a look-see :)

7. Re: Borland Road - Lake Manapouri

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 04:19