We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christchurch

Cali
Level Contributor
113 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Christchurch

So we are at the end of an 8 day trip, and have finished up tonight in Christchurch. This city is AWFUL!!!

Will post a full trip review when we get home. The rest of the South island was wonderful, but wow, this place has really left a horrid ending to our trip. I am so disappointed with this city I had to post right away!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,021 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christchurch

This really is a most unhelpful post. Why did you find Christchurch so bad? I have visited many times, and it's a delightful city.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
191 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christchurch

Depends what you see of it.

My initial impression was that it was just a big country town. A bit like Geelong, if you live in Victoria, Australia.

But then it does have a good bit of charm, if you look in the right places. A nice little pub and bar scene in various corners. The walk along the creek up near the university was pretty. There's a good street of antiques and old books. And then you have the Gondola up into the hills.

But yeah, it's got teenagers roaming about to make the more fragile traveler uneasy(though I never had the slightest problem with 'em). It's got too many damn souvenir shops. It's got crappy bits to it, like any city.

I think it comes down to what bits you saw, who you encountered, what the weather was like, etc etc etc. Random good or bad luck.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
492 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christchurch

On our first visit there I didn't think much of it as we didn't spend much time there but have been back 4 times and every visit we explored a bit more and discovered it to be a great place with lots of character and attractions. Looking forward to going back and exploring even more! Maybe you needed to spend a bit more time there...Pity you left with that impression as your final one :(

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,872 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christchurch

Hi,

I am unsure if perhaps this post is a wind up of some sort as one would have expected such a post to be a lot more constructive rather than to simply say that the 'city is aweful'.

Would you please be so kind as to be a little more constructive in your comments, that way if there is anything that can be done to rectify your concerns, then it can be done.

useful information would be the likes of where you stayed, where you eaten, what sights ar activities you may have done, was your concern based on customer service etc.

No place will be all things to all people which we accept, but if your concerns are genuine then we would like to hear them

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,367 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christchurch

This was their intended itinerary...

Jan 3 – Christchurch

Botanical Gardens / Canterbury Museum

Antarctic Centre

Punting on Avon

Jan 4 - Christchurch

Tram / Gondola

Christchurch Cathedral

Airport by 4pm

I'm interested to know how Chch managed to so totally disappoint them on arrival.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
33,694 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christchurch

Of course a cold wet day in Chch can be as miserable as a wet day anywhere, especially with quite a few outdoor activities planned. On a good summer's day I love Chch. At present I am a Chch refugee - eager to get back when the job situation improves.

Cali
Level Contributor
113 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christchurch

I posted that from our hotel which was charging quite a bit for internet access, apologize for the short post.

For starters, it was overcast and drizzling, so there were no people anywhere, even though it was a Saturday. Everyone we did see and talk to came off as miserable. We actually said to each other 'I feel like the gold rush just ended and everyones a bit lost and desolate.'

We ate at Baileys, and I was very excited bc the tram driver gave it a big wind up. It was terrible. The food was OK, but the service and atmosphere was awful.

Went to Ko Tane which was good, and did the gondola as well. Took a drive up to Pegasus Bay just to get out of the city.

I think it was more like after such a wonderful, exciting, vivd trip and to finish up in that city was such a huge... let down.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christchurch

So the weather was poor and you had a good meal somewhere you didn't rate and that makes the city AWFUL?

Christchurch
Level Contributor
120 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Christchurch

A wet weekend in Chch - everyone is at the mall! I agree - if I'm ever in the central city one such a day it is DEAD - I often wonder what on earth I'd make of the place if I was a tourist - there's no-one around.

If you want to meet locals, head over to one of the many malls and there they are - but of course then you could be back home in California or Sydney or anywhere else - a mall is a mall...

As for Bailey's - urgh! - shoulda done your TA research before leaving home - I'd put it in the bottom 10 percent of Christchurch restaurants - its more a bar than anything else.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,769 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Christchurch

I would be a bit kinder about Bailies, it would make the bottom 15%! It's a drinking hole that serves food so it can get a license! If you had walked for 5 minutes towards the Avon and the "strip" the pubs would have been lively even on a grey damp saturday. Or 10 minutes in the other direction to Soulth of Litchfield" or Poplar lane. You have to remember that not many NZ cities pre date 1840. (Christchurch was established in 1850) so there is no "old town" etc. Come to Christchurch or Dunedin when a rugby game is on and it will be humming (and safe). We all have different taste. I've been to LA 4 times and the best part is when the plane lifts off. Somepeople should just stay home and watch TV.