We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive Lake Tekapo to Te Anau

dalby
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Drive Lake Tekapo to Te Anau

Hi,

We are traveling to South Island early july, we are planing to Drive Lake Tekapo to Te Anau in one day, how long would the drive take, what are the roads like being winter. We are having 6 nights in Queenstown, to ski and see sights.. is 6 nights to long? Look forward to your advise.

Kay

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive Lake Tekapo to Te Anau

Hi Kay,

We're plannig our first trip to NZ in June & I've found the www.newzealand.com website a great help.

If you go into the 'destinations & maps' tab then choose 'New Zealand map' you can actually click on an A then B destination & it calculates your travel time - by either rail, air or road.

We've found this a great help, with (of course) the expert advice from Trip Advisor fans!!

Happy travels!

R :)

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
3,068 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive Lake Tekapo to Te Anau

Tekapo to Te Anau will take 4 to 4-1/2 hours. It's a good road so no problems. We commonly drive Te Anau to Christchurch in 8 hours. THis doesn't alow for stops except for fuel & food (10 minutes ; 1 stop)

As you are on holiday you should allow a bit more time, but you will not need to go into Queenstown, as you are returning there later.

Weather is an unknown factor which could throw the whole thing into a cocked hat, but there is only one spot on the road which will be affected by snow (Lindas pass) and this is very early in your trip, so you have the oportunity or retuning to Omarama and going via Oanaru and Dunedin. Of course this will take a lot longer, maybe twice as long, but still do-able

Six nights is not too long in Queenstown, particularly if you are skiing. You could consider splitting your time between Wanaka and Queenstown. Give you a chance to check out all the ski fields without travelling too far each day.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive Lake Tekapo to Te Anau

VBC, you must drive a tad faster than I do ;)

In ideal conditions I would allow 2.5 - 3 hours from Tekapo to Cromwell, a further 3 hours to Te Anau. It could take considerably longer in winter driving conditions.

Kay, if you post your full itinerary here we can possibly offer more informed help for your itinerary :)

Te Anau
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,068 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive Lake Tekapo to Te Anau

Geez WL, Don't want to get stuck behind you :)

I was working it out as 8 hours Tnu to ChCH, and Omarama being about half way. I think about 3 hours to Cromwell, and another hour to Omarama. I don't drive particularly fast, but I don't muck around either, and of course I'm not looking at the scenery.

You are right, though, that more time sould be allowed in winter

Whatever, it's an easy drive in one day.

Te Anau
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,068 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive Lake Tekapo to Te Anau

Oh, and I did put in a plug for Wanaka. Do I get Brownie points for that :)

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive Lake Tekapo to Te Anau

Kay, this site might be of help www.aatravel.co.nz/main/td-calculator.php

VCB, no worries, you won't get stuck behind me on the road. I ain't no slow turtle... and yep, brownie points galore for mentioning Wanaka :) Let me know the next time you're passing (at the speed of light) through Wanaka and I'll bake a batch of my famous raspberry brownies...

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Drive Lake Tekapo to Te Anau

Did someone mention brownies??!!

Te Anau
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,068 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Drive Lake Tekapo to Te Anau

That offer's too good to refuse :) I'm on my way!!.

Perhaps you could send some on the courier :))

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Drive Lake Tekapo to Te Anau

well I would, but before reaching Te Anau they'd probably end up IN the courier...

and sorry I often muddle your initials... I keep awarding you a VC!

Syd, you'll just have to add Wanaka to your itinerary :)

Te Anau
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,068 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Drive Lake Tekapo to Te Anau

:)