We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cook and back again

Tamworth
Level Contributor
37 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Cook and back again

We are going to be in the south island next March as part of our tour of NZ. I was thinking of changing my itinerary from spending 5 days in Queenstown to spending 1 nt at Mount Cook and rest in Queenstown. This would mean flying into Queenstown in the morning, getting hire car and driving 3.5 hrs to Mount Cook village, staying overnight, doing Glacier Explorers boat trip and driving back in afternoon, with 3 days left in Queenstown. A friend who has been to Mt Cook recommended the boat trip. I was wondering if the scenery and experience etc is worth the drive or would i be better spending the time in Queenstown? We cant drive through on way to Christchurch because we are going round by the West Coast.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,430 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cook and back again

Hi Soosie :)

The drive to Aoraki/Mt Cook is superb, one of my favourites. I just love traveling through the Lindis Pass. And yes, the Tasman glacier trip is wonderful, highly recommended.

Is the trip worth it? That depends on what else you plan to do in Queenstown. I hope you will also be visiting Milford Sound? But yes, if time permits, I would go for it.

enjoy :)

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cook and back again

They might only be 3.5hrs apart but they are quite different. If you are into the outdoors and majestic scenery the combination of visiting both places would be suburb!

Tamworth
Level Contributor
37 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cook and back again

Hi thanks both for your comments. Im really very excited to be at Mount Cook. I think we will definitely change the itinerary now to include it. I'm sure I can still fit a lot into our Queenstown stay. We will have 3 days there and im planning to do the Milford Sound trip, Dart River and maybe Skippers. Im expecting the trip to be completely manic but fabulous at the same time! :)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
492 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cook and back again

I would describe the Mount Cook area, especially Hooker Valley, as majestic as Milford Sound minus the water. Would have to be one of the most breathtaking places in NZ.

5. Re: Cook and back again

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2010, 12:21