We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do

Scotland
Level Contributor
14 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do

I'll be in the South Island for a week in March and given that I don't have a great deal of time I was wondering what trips etc anyone would recommend. I was thinking about doing either a helicopter or plane ride over the Glaciers or Mt Cook and wondered if their were any particular recommedations for specific companies to choose, (or not choose)

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,304 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do

hello A :)

if you let us know your intended itinerary we can possibly suggest suitable activities for the areas you plan to visit. And yes, a flight over the glaciers and/or Southern Alps is spectacular.

Gallipolis, Ohio
Level Contributor
39 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do

South Island is loaded with stuff to do!!! Here are some of my favorite, and not so favorite things:

Abel Tasman: Simply beautiful and great hiking! You can choose a hike based on your preference of easy - hard and a boat taxi will drop you off so you only have to hike one way.

Pancake Rocks: Very beautiful, also if you 're nearby. Maybe not worth a visit on its own, though if you're only there a week.

Christchurch: Fun city, loads to do (Antartic Museum was great). I loved the feel of the city and just had fun walking around in the many parks. Nightlife was good when I was there, too.

Kaikoura: During whale watching times - amazing!

Queenstown/Wanaka - Beautiful area, very touristy. Good place to do all the adventourous things. Really liked the tram and luge. Also did a few package things - bungee, white water rafting, and helicopter ride. From Queenstown the Milford Sounds tour is beautiful on a CLEAR day, if you can plan it that way!

I went to Franz Josef and Fox Glacier for a helicopter hike and was completely disappointed. I felt like they advertised a glacier climb, when really what I was getting was some photo ops and no hike whatsoever. Had friends who were disappointed in the same way at Mt. Cook, although both are beautiful!

Hope this helps!

Scotland
Level Contributor
14 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do

We fly into Christchurch on 13th Mar, cross to the north island on 19th and fly out of Auckland on 23rd. We haven't really anything planned inbetween although I did fancy doing a glacier flight, stay for a couple of night on a vineyard and visit Rotarua. Any thing anyone can suggest/recommend would be appreciated

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,304 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do

One possibility;

13 arrive Chch, explore

14 drive to Aoraki/Mt Cook

15 explore Tasman glacier

16 heli-flight over glaciers, drive to Rangiora

17 drive to Kaikoura, whale watch? drive to Marlborough

18 wine tour

19 drive to Picton, ferry to Wellington...

hope this helps :)

Scotland
Level Contributor
14 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do

Cheers WanakaLakes

On the whale watch thing will we be there at the right time of year, (if there is a right time of year)?

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,304 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do

The whales don't migrate, they are there year round.

The drawback to the above trip is that it requires you to repeat one section of road. In 10 days you are best to spend your time exploring just one island.

7. Re: Things to do

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2010, 05:18