We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maps of South Island

Sydney
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Maps of South Island

so, we're heading off to NZ next week and now I'm full of last minute questions. Should we get a GPS w/the car or is it best to stop off at various Information centers to grab maps along the way, or should I buy a NZ map book or something? I know there are a few main roads so am I ok w/my basic maps from google and just follow signs? getting nervous - thanks for any advice.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
492 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maps of South Island

Hi TM,

You'll do just fine without a GPS, especially in the South Island. The car rental Co will provide you with a basic map and you can pick up others at the airport more specific to the areas/cities that you'll be visiting. We purchased a NZ Touring Atlas (Hema Maps) in Aus before our first trip (around $25 from RACV shop) & have used it every time we visit. Large book stores also stock it. The roads are really well signed so you shouldn't get lost. Have a great trip!

London UK
Level Contributor
2,562 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maps of South Island

I agree with Kikiflower, you do not need a GPS. We used a Rough Guide Map of New Zealand (1:1,000,000 scale) which costs £5.99 in UK which should be about AUD14. It is rip proof and waterproof, so if it becomes dirty, you can wipe it clean. In Standfords, one of the world's best map shops, I checked over several maps for my Kiwi visit and this one was by far the best.

A GPS can be good for travelling from A to B but not so good for trip planning.

Enjoy your trip.

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,854 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maps of South Island

Part of the enjoyment of holidaying, is meeting with locals in ISites find out about what to do.

To buy your trip in Sydney, complete with a GPS, so you are cocooned away from (un) civilisation, then you are really doing your self an injustice to call it a holiday or a NZ experience.

GPS are great for in unamiliar cities, but with a good map and a navigator holding it upside down, it is hard to get better value for money.

Enjoy NZ

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,472 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maps of South Island

Why are you assuming the navigator is female Coaster? It might be a male who holds the map the right way! Except for the one way streets in Christchurch (and they only take a bit of getting used to) navigating in the South Island is a breeze. Between the towns in the south usually requires you to know if you are going up the Island, down the Island or acrossit. It is well sign posted. Even with GPS you need a map so you can get the big picture.

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
793 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maps of South Island

Boys....boys.....everyone knows it's the men who hold the maps upside down and women rock when it comes to navigating :)

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
793 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maps of South Island

.....oh yes, and my comment on the topic is if you have bought the Lonely Planet or the Rough Guide, the maps in there are as good as any and you should be able to find your way around, whichever sex you are!

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,525 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maps of South Island

what about the 'Lonely rough Guide'....thats the way i travel.....

Agree Mike that even those of any of the 3 sexes only need to know which way the sun sets as its up down left or right (you are to far if your feet are wet).

will be over to sample in Oct ......

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,854 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maps of South Island

actualy inever made any reference to gender of the navigator. It could be just people from the northern hemisphere who think that as we stand on our head, if they hold the map upside down, then it will work right.

In NZ it is now illegal to use a hand help cell phone whilst driving. beware that some cell phones have other fuctions like GPS,camera etc. as these have a phone fuction, be careful that you never use them whilst driving.

Sydney
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maps of South Island

Thanks all! I'll get a map just for my sanity sake. Both hubby and I will be driving and navigating, and seeing as I'm planning everything and he has no clue what's going on, I think it's safe to say my navigating skills will be pretty good. Thanks for everything!

10. Re: Maps of South Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2010, 07:15