We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southern Scenic Route

Singapore
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Southern Scenic Route

Hi,

I am comtemplating the drive from Te Anau to Dunedin via the Southern Scenic Route or Gore. Which is better?

I have 3 days in Dunedin (13-16/6) and I would like to see Catlins. Is 3 days in Dunedin too long? Can I do a day trip to Catlins from Dunedin or do I cut short 1 day in Dunedin and stay 1 night in Invercargill?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
730 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Southern Scenic Route

A few years ago we went from TA to Dunedin via the SSR. We left TA in the afternoon after seeing the caves, and stayed in Invercargill for the night to get a morning start in the Catlins.

We stayed one night in the Catlins, and 2 nights in Dunedin. Looking back, I think that the reverse would be better.

I would say that if you want to see the Catlins, backtracking from Dunedin is not the way to go. As I look on the map, the way we did it seems more reasonable to me.

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,843 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Southern Scenic Route

From TeAnau, head to Tuatapare, Riverton, Invercargill. It is a short drive down to Bluff which is the southern extremity of Highway 1 and also a shipping port.

from invercargill, turn off and head to the Catlins. Stay the night somewhere along the way rather than try to do Dunedin that night

'Is 3 Days in Dunedin too long?'.............

Some people stay there for their entire lifetime.

there is plenty to see and do and to fill in three days , you wont run out of things to see and do

Singapore
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Southern Scenic Route

Hi all,

Is there any recommendations for me to stay 1 night at the Catlins. Do you think I should stay at the Mclean Falls Holiday Park or travel a bit further and stay in Owaka instead? Any good recommendation.

I cant seem to find hotel listing in Wotif. Pls advise.

Thank you in advance.

cheers

Singapore
Level Contributor
671 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Southern Scenic Route

Hi SingaporeSwan,

I also had the same consideration while planning for last Nov trip. In the end, i decided to go from Dunedin to Invercargill via the southern scenic route and stayed at invercargill before going to Te Anau. For the southern scenic route, pls start your day early like 9am.

I went to Mclean Falls for tea break but didnt stay there.

See my blog in www.bubblelow.multiply.com.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Southern Scenic Route

Take a look here for Catlins accommodation :)

http://www.catlins-nz.com/accommodation.html

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Southern Scenic Route

and here

tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g1746108-The_Catlins…

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
492 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Southern Scenic Route

Hi SS,

We drove from Te Anau to Dunedin via The Catlins last September. We stayed one night in Waikawa Harbour at Waikava Harbour View in one of the units. No one else was staying there at the time so we had the place to our selves.

http://www.southcatlins.co.nz/index.html

It's about half way to Dunedin and only 6 or 7 minutes from Curio Bay (Petrified Forest). We timed it so that we could go there at low tide on the afternoon that we arrived. The Catlins are just beautiful! It rained for most of the time we were there so all the waterfalls were just amazing. Places not to miss are: Gemstone beach at Orepuki (before you get to Invercargill), Waipapa Point, Slope Point, Curio Bay, Porpoise Bay, Purakaunui Falls, Matai Falls, McLean Falls, Lake Wilkie, Cannibal Bay & Nugget Point. You could easily spend two nights as there's so much to explore.

Make sure you pack a good rain/wind proof jacket so you can enjoy the area no matter what the weather. Have a great trip!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
730 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Southern Scenic Route

Our favorite experience at the Catlins was getting up early to see the yellow-headed penguines amble out of the scrub at dawn to go into the sea. I don't remember which beach it was.

Singapore
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Southern Scenic Route

Hi,

thank you all for the valuable info.. :)

I am more or less ready for my coming trip. 20 more days ... am counting down.

Thank you once again for all the tips.

Cheers :)

Singapore
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Southern Scenic Route

Hi,

thank you all for the valuable info.. :)

I am more or less ready for my coming trip. 20 more days ... am counting down.

Thank you once again for all the tips.

Cheers :)