We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kiwi and Kea

Sydney
Level Contributor
72 posts
160 reviews
Save Topic
Kiwi and Kea

Are there any places to view kiwi and kea in the wild on the South Island with some reliability? Or is it luck of the draw when visiting the appropriate areas?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,959 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kiwi and Kea

Kiwis are endangered and you are unlikely to see them in the wild. I have been visiting NZ on and off for over 40 years and have never seen one in the wild.

Park your car near one of the glaciers, or at either end of the Homer Tunnel on the Milford road, and kea will appear and start destroying the softer parts of the car: windscreen wipers, rubber window seals, etc.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,156 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kiwi and Kea

Your chances of seeing kiwi in the wild unless you are in the bush with experts are slim to nil. As Sydney Nick has rightly pointed out take your car to the glaciers in the south iSland or near the snowline. You will wish you had never seen Kea especially if you have a rental car.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
8,176 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kiwi and Kea

The feathered Kiwi only come out at night (some of the other variety are similar) so it's highly unlikely that you will see them in their natural environment unless you have a guide with a tracking dvice and or specially trained dog. You may however hear them as most variety of kiwi are quite noisy. Kea are bcoming rarer, only approximately 5000 are left. They are in the mountain areas, Arthurs Pass/skifields etc. They will find you. Please do not feed them though, they are supposed to find bugs etc, not sandwicjes or icecream cones (they are particuarly partial to fingers as well as shiny/rubbery car bit) as they get lazy, forget how to forage and die in the off season.

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,891 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kiwi and Kea

If you are doing a circuit of the South Island, travel via Arthur's pass and stop at deaths Corner, there are normally plenty there

when at Franz Joseph Glacier, do a tour at Okarito, and you will see plenty in the wild.

just to get some idea of what they sound like and look like, when in Hokitika,

visit the Kiwi house, when there, you are not required to stand at attention for long peiods as at some sanctuaries, and they call out etc. no glass between you and the kiwi either

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,513 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kiwi and Kea

You can usually see wild kiwi on a night walk on Stewart Island.

As metioned, Arthur's Pass and Homer Tunnel are good kea hangouts. Also try the Hermitage at Aoraki/Mt Cook.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,444 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kiwi and Kea

If you see a kiwi in the wild while by yourself go right out and buy a lotto ticket too! You have more chance of winning that that seeing a kiwi believe me. In all my years of bird watching I have never seen one, and that's even when living on the edge of a National Park. I've heard plenty though.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,156 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kiwi and Kea

Get a ticket for me too please.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,097 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kiwi and Kea

i'm feeling very privileged. I've seen wild kiwi twice. Once with Okarito Kiwi Tours and once with the night walk in Trounson Kauri Park in the north island.

As coaster has said Okarito kiwi tours have it down to a fine art. If you want to see a wild kiwi I'd say they are the easiest and most accessible and reliable way to do it.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,156 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kiwi and Kea

Snodge post 2 refers

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,444 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kiwi and Kea

"Snodge post 2 refers"....... I think what Bean was trying to say before he was obviously interrupted is that unless you go on a specific kiwi spotting tour, as Snodge did, to see kiwi in the wild, then you don't have a chance in hell.