We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Proposed South Island trip

Australia
Level Contributor
167 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Proposed South Island trip

Had been planning to visit the South Island Oct 2011 until we realised World Cup was on so now instead of going to Nth island this year we have booked flights into Christchurch on Oct 7 and departing Oct 21. After reading heaps of itineraries on TA have come up with proposed plan but still not sure whether we would be better to leave Dunedin or not. We plan to do north of Christchurch when we come back to the north island.

1 Fly into Christchurch

2 TranzAlpine train to Greymouth then collect hire car and go to

Punakaika and back to Hokitika overnight

3 Franz Joseph and Fox Glacier

4 Wanaka

5 Wanaka

6 Queenstown

7 Queenstown

8 Te Anau

9 Te Anau - Milford Sound

10 Dunedin

11 Dunedin

12 Mt Cook via Lindis Pass

13 Mt cook - Tasman Glacier tour

14 Christchurch

Not sure if this is a bit too rushed

Would we need to forward book accommodation at this time? My husband and I are in our early 60's and will be accompanied by an adult son in his late 30's.

Look forward to some further advice - I have had so many great threads to plan with so far.

June

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Proposed South Island trip

Hello June, you have done really well with your planning. The only change I can suggest is on the drive Dunedin to Aoraki/Mt Cook. It would take about 5 hours to get there via Oamaru and about 6 hours straight driving via the Lindis Pass.

An alternative, with shorter drive times, is;

3 Franz and Fox

4 drive to Wanaka :)

5 explore

6 drive to Dunedin (3.5 hours)

7 explore

8 drive to Te Anau (4 hours via Gore)

9 explore Milford Sound

10 drive to Queenstown (2 hours)

11 explore

12 drive Lindis Pass to Aoraki/Mt Cook (3.5 hours)

13 explore Tasman Glacier

14 drive to Christchurch

plus I would stay the night at Punakaiki rather than Hokitika. The pancake rocks are best viewed at high tide and you will greatly increase your chances of having a high tide if you stay longer than an hour or two.

Hope this helps, have a great trip :)

Christchurch
Level Contributor
652 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Proposed South Island trip

Hi Jun0

Great plan - no comments there. But you asked re accomodation - normally you should not have a problem with turning up by 4pm to get accomodation BUT the school holidays are from Sept 24 - Monday 11 October. As you are starting your trip on the 7th Oct you may have a few problems for the short period of over lap. Have attached Ministry of education web link for you to look at …govt.nz/theMinistry/EducationInNewZealand/S…

cheers

Kiwi

Australia
Level Contributor
167 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Proposed South Island trip

Hi

WanakaLakes - thanks. Your idea seems a much better way to go. I was worried about the leg from Dunedin being too long hence the thought of dropping it - won't need to now.

4kiwitravellers - can't believe I didn't check the school holidays. My husband is a retired teacher and so we are always mindful to try and travel outside holidays. Not to worry we will just prebook the first few days. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

June

Australia
Level Contributor
167 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Proposed South Island trip

Just this week we have had to bring our trip forward a month so will now be arriving next week - hope the weather improves (mind you its not much better here).

My query at present is what would be the best way to go to Dunedin from Wanaka?. After Dunedin we go to Te Anau via Gore. We are most interested in the best scenery not necessarily the quickest route.

June

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Proposed South Island trip

Great to hear you will soon be here. The weather has been lovely with blue skies, a bit nippy, but the other day I was even in a T-shirt!

The slightly shorter route Wanaka to Dunedin follows the Clutha River past Alexandra, Roxburgh, Lawrence, Milton.

A slightly longer route with fewer towns is via Ranfurly and Middlemarch. It is my preferred route.

But you will find the other route scenic too.

Happy travels :)

6. Re: Proposed South Island trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2011, 07:18