We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sth Island - are we too ambitious?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
Sth Island - are we too ambitious?

Hi

Can anyone let me know if we are being too ambitious for our weeks holiday to the South Island. I’m not 100% sure of driving times but assuming the roads aren’t all freeways there is some substantial driving here?

Day 1 – Arrive 1am, o/n near Christchurch airport. Pick up hire car and drive to Franz Josef late afternoon. O/n Franz Josef

Day 2 – Drive to Queenstown. 2 nights here

Day 3 – Shotover Jet, Skyline gondola, etc

Day 4 – Drive to Milford Sound – stay Te Anau o/n

Day 5 – Drive to Dunedin, Penguins, o/n

Day 6 – Drive to Mt Cook/Aoraki

Day 7 – Drive back to Christchurch, o/n, tram

Day 8 – Christchurch city, Antarctic Centre and to airport 5pm

Any input appreciated…

auckland
Level Contributor
424 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sth Island - are we too ambitious?

Christchurch to Franz Josef would be a BIG drive.Maybe you could look at driving from C-church down the East Coast and in to Mt Cook from Timaru area.You could drive through from there to Queenstown and Milford.Then if you went back to Q-town and over to Wanaka you could drive through the Haast Pass and up the West Coast to Franz ,back via Arthur's Pass to Christchurch.It would still be a lot of driving!You could always take a trip via tour bus in from Q-town to Milford if you wanted a day off driving.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sth Island - are we too ambitious?

Thanks for your suggestions. I basically looked up a well known tour company's tour of the south island and was trying to do something similar. Obviously a lot easier though on a bus when you don't have to drive!

How far would the drive from CHC to Franz Josef be? A full day? There is nothing in my travel guide on that distance, only kms' which isn't always helpful when the roads aren't highways.

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
1,796 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sth Island - are we too ambitious?

A friend of ours that lives in Fox says the trip to CH CH is 5 hours for her.

So I would say 6 hours would be what more like the time you would need to see the scenery.

Can I suggest that you leave driving to Te Anau out you would save yourself 1/2 a days driving. You can fly over the alps to milford sound. And then the following day - days you can take in the open spaces of the Manioto plains driving down to Dunedin.

If you are going to Dunedin , can I suggest you have two nights there. There is a big to see there. The drive from Qtown to Dunedin is 3.5 - 4 hours.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
34,139 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sth Island - are we too ambitious?

Suggest you look at one of the many time & distance calculators - I use aamaps as it is NZ based. NONE of these roads are motorways; most are 2 lanes only and there are plenty of ONE WAY bridges. Add to this the fact that you are on holiday - and it is all very scenic, you shouldn't count on averaging much over 70-75 kph over a day. These are all doable - but back to back become very tiring. You might find doing the trip in reverse easier - just that the road to Aoraki/Mt cook is easier driving and you could always stop at Tekapo if you got tired.

5. Re: Sth Island - are we too ambitious?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2011, 07:18