We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

APEX Car Rental

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
5 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
APEX Car Rental

I am planning a trip to NZ in March and we are driving around the South Island for about two of those weeks, I've looked into renting from Apex car rental, is there any reason not to use them? Are the fees what they appear to be online or are there extra costs? I've been burned before by Budget in Mexico and am nervous about renting abroad.

Thanks, for any help.

Mentioned in this post
South Island
South Island
New Zealand
Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,219 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: APEX Car Rental

I have been recommending APEX rentals for a number of years for overseas visitors and have never been disappointed with the results. Apex costs are all upfront and open for all to see.

They offer cars from new to older budget cars so you get what you pay for. My experience is that all their cars are well maintained. They are probably NZ's fastest growing car rental company.

In short is there any reason not to use them NO.

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,648 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: APEX Car Rental

Hi there

Apex are definitely reputable and have a good reputation.

Generally the costs you are quoted online will be what you pay.

The only thing to be aware of is that their standard price includes insurance with a high excess attached to it (approx $2500). This level of excess is standard across all rental car companies.

So the only possible extra cost would be if you choose to take out extra insurance cover with them to reduce the excess on the policy.

I general it is often better to cover this with your travel insurance or sometimes can be covered by your credit card - its worth checking this though.

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,648 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: APEX Car Rental

Just as a note to what I said above, I am told that Apex's standard insurance excess is $1500.

Madison
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
955 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: APEX Car Rental

We used Apex for our 3-week drive around the South Island, and were quite pleased with their customer service. It is a completely different experience from what you will find in North America anywhere to rent a car in New Zealand.

They trust you to follow the contract and return the car in one piece. It is VERY refreshing! We took the extra insurance coverage, and just handed them the keys and left for our flight.

So no worries, as you will hear a lot in NZ. It's all good. I hope you have a great trip.

Mentioned in this post
South Island
South Island
New Zealand
New Zealand
New Zealand
South Pacific
Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,219 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: APEX Car Rental

From my experience you can pay a per diem excess of between $10 - $15 to reduce the excess to zero.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
496 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: APEX Car Rental

We've used Apex twice now and have found them to be excellent. The staff are the friendliest lot we've ever encountered. Very helpful & accommodating, both in Christchurch and Queenstown and the cars have been great. We found them to be the best value for money. No hidden extras and everything is explained to you quite clearly.

Mentioned in this post
Christchurch
Christchurch
Canterbury Region, New Zealand
Queenstown
Queenstown
Otago Region, New Zealand
Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
5 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: APEX Car Rental

Thanks for all the feedback, we went ahead and booked with APEX, signed on for the GPS ($5/day) and the mobile phone ($4/day). We are going in March, arriving in Christchurch, making our way north to Kaikoura and the Marlborough wine region, then Nelson, before heading south to the glaciers, Queenstown and the Fiojrdlands.

Mentioned in this post
Christchurch
Christchurch
Kaikoura
Kaikoura
Marlborough Region
Marlborough Region
South Island, New Zealand
Nelson
Nelson
Nelson-Tasman Region, New Zealand
Queenstown
Queenstown
Otago Region, New Zealand
Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,219 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: APEX Car Rental

Happy holidaying

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,481 posts
296 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: APEX Car Rental

I've also used APEX and would again, but please be aware that when we rented from them, they tried to pull the old DCC - dynamic currency conversion - trying to charge us in US dollars (we have a US issued credit card) instead of in NZ dollars. While this may sound innocent enough, this practice usually costs the consumer more because their bank, not yours, chooses the exchange rate. ANZ (a NZ bank) is notorious for this, I see it all the time here in Australia too.

I suggest you tell them to charge you in NZ dollars as soon as you hand them your credit card.

Also, as you're from the US, if you rent using your Visa card, your excess (deductible) may be covered. Check with your bank for details.

Enjoy NZ!

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
96,008 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: APEX Car Rental

I don't think Apex would gain anything from DCC: they will get $NZ for the amount being charged. It is the banks that get the extra fees from DCC.

It may well be that the Apex staff member does not know about the DCC fees and just thought it would be helpful to charge in the renter's home currency.

It is not only US cards that provide cover for excess/deductible. My ANZ Platinum Visa gives this cover if I charge at least $250 of travel costs before leaving Australia.

Edited: 24 November 2010, 08:58
Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific