We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Suggest Itinerary for 2 weeks in South Island"

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
78 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
"Suggest Itinerary for 2 weeks in South Island"

Hello Tripadvisors!

Thanks in advance! We are a young couple(27yrs) We want to celebrate our anniversary in New Zealand! We are in need of an itinerary for South Island for 2 weeks in the month of April! We don't want to hire a car but would be relying on public transport. We are flying from Sydney to Christchurch.

I appreciate your valuable suggestions! Thank you again in advance!

Irfan

Edited: 11 January 2011, 11:21
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,473 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "Suggest Itinerary for 2 weeks in South Island"

Public transport in the South Island is fairly limited. On most routes there is only one bus per day (so if you decide to get off mid-way you must wait 24 hours for the next bus). The main companies are Intercity and Naked Bus. You might like to consider a Ho-Ho bus "service" such as Magic or Stray which offer passes valid for up to six months over a fixed route that takes a minimum of 9-10 days. Typical routes include:

Christchurch-Franz Josef Glacier-Wanaka-Te Anau-Milford Sound-Queenstown-Mt Cook-Christchurch. Remeber if you are coming at Easter that accommodation will be more limited than earlier in the month.

Christchurch
Level Contributor
652 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "Suggest Itinerary for 2 weeks in South Island"

Hi Irfu18

As mentioned public transport is limited in the Sth Island but it is not impossible BUT here is another suggestion for you. There are a couple of bus companies that specialize in 'jump on/jump off' concept. You buy a pass and get on and off where you want. Here is a link to one such company - Stray http://www.straytravel.com/ . I know there is a least one more but too lazy at 3am in the morning to go looking for it - I will leave it up to you. I know this concept is very popular so do a bit of research and you might find it is just what you are looking for.

cheers

Kiwi

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
78 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "Suggest Itinerary for 2 weeks in South Island"

Thank you for your reply zhuhai2007 and 4kiwitravellers. I think I have to consider your advice as many suggest driving around the South Island is a beautiful experience.

I've been to the North Island but never visited the South Island.

Can you a recommend must visit places and towns in the South Island. We will be starting at Christchurch and would want to finish at Christchurch. Thanks in advance!

Cheers!

Irfan

4. Re: "Suggest Itinerary for 2 weeks in South Island"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 July 2011, 07:17