We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oamaru to Christchurch, which way?

Maroochydore Qld...
Level Contributor
257 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Oamaru to Christchurch, which way?

Hi all

I finally have our SI 2 week family trip planned out as detailed

2 nights Chch in a farmstay, over Arthurs pass to west coast

Hokitika 1 night

Franz Josef 1 night

Queenstown 7 nights

Oamaru 1 night Hopefully see the penguins,

We then have 1 night to spare before we stay in ChCh for an early morning flight, I have been thinking about leaving Oamaru and going via Twizel and staying at lake Tekapo before heading to our accommodation in ChCh, is it worth the extra km's or just drive along the coast back to ChCH, any comments on any aspects of my plan are welcome.

Thanks Steely.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,226 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oamaru to Christchurch, which way?

North of Oamaru you barely see the coast, except for when you pass through Timaru. This stretch of road strikes many tourists as the most boring drive in the world, which is a bit extreme.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,187 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oamaru to Christchurch, which way?

Quite right Barry, that is a bit extreme. It's probably only the most boring drive in the South Island. I'm sure there are roads in other places that dont have the sheep this one has. :)

Singaopore
Level Contributor
57 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oamaru to Christchurch, which way?

Hi

I am doing a similar trip like you and also have 2 weeks. One question, why aren't you considering going north to Kaikoura or Nelson/Marlborough?

I am thinking of going up to Kaikora then heading west as how you have planned. And I am not too sure, if going up to Nelson/Marlborough will be stretching it, as I plan to do the Glaciers, Mount Cook, Wanaka, Queenstown, Milford Sounds, Oamaru and back to ChristChurch.

Your thoughts on this will be appreciated.

Regards

Kamaljit

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,843 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oamaru to Christchurch, which way?

Yes the drive inland to Omarama then twizel, even take a short drive into mtcook, then tekapo Geraldine then to christchurch via ashburton.

From Omarama, go gliding, from twizel go fishing, from tekapo, take a scenic flight over mtcok and Tasman glacier.

There are lots to se and do, the scenery is stunning, so go for it

Maroochydore Qld...
Level Contributor
257 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oamaru to Christchurch, which way?

Thanks for the replies, I will take the inland route as suggested.

To Acemangill, the reason we are not going north is the fact we have 3 kids and we are trying not to drive too long each day in an attempt to keep the "are we there yet" to a reasonable level, we will see how that theory goes.

Steely.

Edited: 24 January 2011, 09:09
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,187 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oamaru to Christchurch, which way?

Well as you are from the Sunshine Coast you are sure to find our mountains more interesting than our coast. I think your coastline leaves ours in the shade.

Maroochydore Qld...
Level Contributor
257 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oamaru to Christchurch, which way?

Yes Mike, we do have a great coast, however no mountains and definitely no snow, lately just constant rain. We are really looking forward to seeing NZ again and showing our kids your beautiful country and hopefully some snow.

Steely.

8. Re: Oamaru to Christchurch, which way?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 28 January 2011, 02:35
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,187 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oamaru to Christchurch, which way?

No promises on the snow. It usually starts attaching itself to mountains in May. It's hot and windy here at the moment so there is none anywhere.

10. Re: Oamaru to Christchurch, which way?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2012, 10:33