We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yobs, sheep, dangerous roads...let the countdown begin

Sydney
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Yobs, sheep, dangerous roads...let the countdown begin

Only 2 weeks to go until our family of 4 hits CC for a 16 night campervan tour of South Island. I want to thank people for their insight and opinions put forward on this forum. A holiday is what you make of it...and we intend to have a great time, come rain, hail, shine, sheep or yobs!

I would love to hear from anyone who has any last minute "must do activities" they can suggest or places to avoid.

Tick tock tick tock...can't wait!

Feilding, New...
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,560 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yobs, sheep, dangerous roads...let the countdown begin

Drive Safely.....the roads are not dangerous, it's the drivers on them. Drive to conditions and have a great holiday in New Zealand.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yobs, sheep, dangerous roads...let the countdown begin

Have a great visit !!

and please come back afterwards and let us know your your trip highs and yes, even your lows ;)

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,508 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yobs, sheep, dangerous roads...let the countdown begin

If you want to see a mob of sheep on the road I suggest you should sleep in when you have a tight timetable and then burn your toast. That always works for me.

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,854 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yobs, sheep, dangerous roads...let the countdown begin

I am afraid you will be miserably disapointed if you are after sheep and Yobs, we may be able to assist with the rain and sunshine though.

simply remember that you are on holiday, leave early every day with time up your sleve. nothing worse than having to rush to say meet a boat time table or or a leap off a bridge (in total faith of a rubber band).

with time, you are able to stop and smell the roses, check out the kea that demolished you car while your back was turned or even to spend your time trying to drag other members of the group out of our retail shops.

no last minute advice from me sorry

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yobs, sheep, dangerous roads...let the countdown begin

Sheep are well on the move at the moment. I've encountered 3 flocks of sheep in the last week!!

and one (or possibly a pack of) yob(s) thought it clever to do some burn outs on the road near me a couple of nights ago. The following morning I followed the burnt rubber tracks up the road but unlike them I stopped before the road edge and didn't go through the deer fence or down the steep drop on the other side. It gave me a good laugh for the rest of the day :)

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yobs, sheep, dangerous roads...let the countdown begin

I think we could provide some yobs, if you're desperate, in the shape of drunk uni students.

Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,327 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yobs, sheep, dangerous roads...let the countdown begin

The talk of drunks reminded me of back in the dark ages when NZ pubs closed about 6pm.As a child,my mother always insisted that I was safely indoors by pub turning out time.

8. Re: Yobs, sheep, dangerous roads...let the countdown begin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 March 2011, 20:35
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,565 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yobs, sheep, dangerous roads...let the countdown begin

Having just come back from NZ - I can only assure you that you will see more yobs in Sydney than the south island!!

NZ is a great place with beautiful scenery with lots of sheep in the adjoining paddocks.

Have fun, you will be blown away by the scenery

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,073 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Yobs, sheep, dangerous roads...let the countdown begin

Please be kind to our sheep. Your accent may frighten them. We have had enough problems in NZ over the past couple of months without having to cope with paranoid sheep who have come across over friendly Australians.