We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with my itinerary

Australia
9 posts
Save Topic
Help with my itinerary

We are arriving by ferry at Picton and have 10 days of travel by car in the south island.

Our friends would like to visit - the west coast and spend a couple of days at Fox Glacier 3 days in Queenstown and 3 days in Christchurch.

We arrive in Picton around midday and would commence our travels. We planned to stay the first night in Nelson and then continue south.

I need recommendations on where we should stop the following night or if it is possible to drive from Nelson to Fox Glacier in one day? Of should we plan to stop somewhere north of that area?

I have been looking at Tripadvisor for accomodation in that area and its quite expensive for pretty ordinary motels/hotels. Any suggestions pls?

Lots of questions but some readers have been very helpful in the past.

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,850 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with my itinerary

From Nelson, I would advise traveling down the bulled river to near Wwstport, then down to punakaiki. There is some excellent accommodation in punakaiki, then drive on down to franz Joseph and fox. Don't forget to stop off in hokitika and check the great shopping for greenstone, gold and glassblowing (even a sock museum)

I wouldn't stay 3 nights in christchurch, two would be adequate which would give you time to take a day trip to Amaris, but most of the activities in Christchurch are not operable as yet, and will be a long time before they are.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,694 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with my itinerary

Amaris? Coaster please explain?

Australia
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with my itinerary

Dear Coaster2

thank you for your adivce - will take note and will book accommodation at Hokitika. Sounds just lovely now I have done more reserch.

Cheers moncrief

4. Re: Help with my itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 03:17