We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holliday in Twizel for 3 nights.Will it be boring?

Malaysia
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Holliday in Twizel for 3 nights.Will it be boring?

Hi all.

Im planning to stay in Twizel for 3 nights before heading to Queenstown for a night.

Just looking to relax and recoup

I know that we can drive to Mount Cook,go to the Salmon Farm.go to Takepo

Anthing else we can do?

Thanks guys.Cheers

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,069 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holliday in Twizel for 3 nights.Will it be boring?

Will it be boring - in a nutshell yes. I use Twizel as a break for a cup of coffee and something to eat enroute between CHCH and Queenstown. To stay for 3 nights you must have plenty of time to see our country.

Sardinia, Italy
Level Contributor
1,415 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Holliday in Twizel for 3 nights.Will it be boring?

We stayed in a cottage at Omarau Downs station ( farm) on the outskirts of Twizel for a couple of weeks - great base for Mt Cook & Lake Pukaki. If you want to do some of the easy hikes around Mt Cook such as The Tasman & Hooker Glaciers, Mueller Hut, Red tarns etc I don't think 3 nights is too long at all.

Can highly recommend the Omarau Downs itself, a photographers paradise - you can take pix of Mt Cook from their rear terrace, great 'heritage' style baches and really friendly , hospitable hosts. They even gave us some wine as a leaving present!

Also add Omarama Clay Cliffs to the must see list for the area. There are plenty of airborme activites on offer from the small airstrip too.

South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,399 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Holliday in Twizel for 3 nights.Will it be boring?

If you are able, check out the Mount John observatory. Tours run from Tekapo and if astronomy is of interest it is a great experience.

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,521 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Holliday in Twizel for 3 nights.Will it be boring?

yes Bean it is a marginal coffee stop but did pull in last time as had 1st timers to NZ and the were entranced with the name Twizzzel and thought it must have been named by Peter Jackson. We did a circle and they were suitably impressed enough to say "Jeez I hope the car does not break down near here we will die of boredom" ....let alone caffine poisoning.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,291 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Holliday in Twizel for 3 nights.Will it be boring?

Twizzel was a hydro town when the built the cannals etc. It is the main rowing centre in the South Island. It does have a really nice cafe (Poppies) and it's not too bad a place for a boys fishing trip. But if you are not into any of that, you might preferr somewhere else.

I did get lost there in the fog once. I had less than 1km to drive and could not find my motel after taking a wrong turn.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,291 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Holliday in Twizel for 3 nights.Will it be boring?

Actually if you are just after a cuppa and a loo, I think Wrinkly Rams at Omarama is another good option. Nice fresh food, nice clean loos.

7. Re: Holliday in Twizel for 3 nights.Will it be boring?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 11:18