We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Milford or Routeburn? Abel Tasman or Southern Scenic Route?

Washington, DC
5 posts
Save Topic
Milford or Routeburn? Abel Tasman or Southern Scenic Route?

Hi,

I will be traveling to NZ in February and am planning to stay 1 week on the North Island, and 2 on the South Island. With limited time, which hike is recommended - Milford or Routeburn? I am also debating between Abel Tasman National Park or going south and doing the Southern Scenic Route. Recommendations?!

Thanks,

Mary

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,476 posts
296 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Milford or Routeburn? Abel Tasman or Southern Scenic Route?

Both tracks are good options, but it might come down to whether or not you can get a booking. Both are popular, huts and campsites are limited and slots fill months in advance.

Abel Tasman is also fantastic, as is the whole Southern Scenic Route, particularly the Catlins. You could well find it difficult to see both the south and the north of the island in just two weeks though, especially if you're planning a multi day tramp.

Washington, DC
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Milford or Routeburn? Abel Tasman or Southern Scenic Route?

Thank you for your reply. Do you have a preference between the Catlins or Abel Tasman? You are right - since my time is so limited and I want to do a 3 or 4 day hike, I was planning to either go south or north. I just was not sure which would be better to visit - is one more unique to New Zealand than the other? I appreciate your help!

South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,435 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Milford or Routeburn? Abel Tasman or Southern Scenic Route?

I would go for the Routeburn track as it has far easier access and is just as spectacular as the Milford Track. Weather is the important factor.

Able Tasman park is much more interesting than the Catlins and would make better use of your limited time.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,476 posts
296 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Milford or Routeburn? Abel Tasman or Southern Scenic Route?

Tough choice - both are great options, but if you're staying south the Catlins make more sense. There are loads of walks in the area.. We spent three nights there a few years back - we based ourselves in Fortrose and visited both the north and south Catlins, but we much preferred the north and are considering another stay there when we return. It's windswept and unspoiled and a unique spot on the SI.

I love the Abel Tasman area too, don't get me wrong. I particularly like the nearby wine region of Upper Motuere, the fruit growing area around Motueka and walking the track from the Golden Bay side (loads to do there too). But, with two weeks and plans to walk one of the great walks further south, I can't help but think staying south makes more sense.

Also, you'll find the Catlins much less busy than you will Abel Tasman.

You can't go wrong with either though. Sorry, that probably didn't help much!

5. Re: Milford or Routeburn? Abel Tasman or Southern Scenic Route?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 07:16