We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

confused with itinerary

Vilnius, Lithuania
1 post
Save Topic
confused with itinerary

Could anyone help me with my Itinerary, please :) the more I read about new zealand’s musts the more I get confused. Here is my plan, I would appreciate any comments and recommendations. I will be taking buses to move along, since I am not confident about driving on the opposite side of the road :

13th of September arrive to Auckland in the morning, spent a night there

14th one more night in Auckland (is it worth it or better move on to another area?)

15th flying to Nelson ? this is my headache – the question is it worth to fly to this area just to visit Abel Tasman park and some wineries (I can spend only 2 or 3 days here)? After that I would be heading to Glaciers – it’s quite far away so I am not sure if it is a good idea to put Nelson region into my itinerary (although I’ve read it’s one of the most beautiful regions in NZ, is it true ?) If I don’t include Nelson, I would be flying to Dudedin or Christchurch from Auckland, and after visiting Otago Peninsula and maybe Kaikoura I would be heading to Te Anau and Queenstown (and glaciers).

16-17 Nelson?

18th – trip to Glaciers

19th Glaciers (is it enough to stay one day?)

20th – trip to queenstown

21st – queenstown, rafting

22 – te anau

23 – milford, back to te anau

24 – trip to Dunedin

25 – otago peninsula

27 – flight from Dunedin to Rotorua or Auckland

28 – rotorua (1 day – is it enough?)

29 – flight back home from Auckland

I have a flight back home from Auckland on 29th, so I am planning to fly back to Auckland from Queenstown or other cities (depending on my last stop)

If the schedule is too tight, what should I omit – otago peninsula or nelson region ? I’m not much into the cities – I want to make most of NZ nature and it’s sights.

Thank you in advance, best wishes from Lithuania!

South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,406 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: confused with itinerary

If you are into Nature and Landscapes I would leave out the Otago Peninsular and also Rotorua. The Able Tasman and the road down the West Coast of the South Island is NZ Nature at its best. Spend some time in Wanaka and then base yourself in Queenstown. This will allow you to explore Arrowtown and the Glenorchy area. The best way to see Milford Sound is coach, cruise, fly from Queenstown.

My advice would also be to fly back to Auckland from Queenstown.

Have a good trip.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,364 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: confused with itinerary

Welcome to the forum Ruta :)

I think you have planned well. My suggestion is to skip the first two days in Auckland, it's a small city similar to many around the world, and instead go enjoy our unique landscapes.

My suggestion;

13 arrive Auckland , fly to Nelson

14 explore Abel Tasman

15 explore more

16 bus to glaciers

17 explore

18 bus to Wanaka

19 bus to Queenstown

20 explore

21 more

22 bus to Te Anau

23 bus to Milford, cruise, bus back to Te Anau

24 bus to Dunedin

25 explore Otago Peninsula

26 fly to Rotorua

27 explore

28 bus to Auckland, explore

29 fly home from Auckland

hope this helps :)

3. Re: confused with itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2012, 01:18