We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Island trip - 9 days

Auckland, New...
6 posts
Save Topic
South Island trip - 9 days

Not so sure the below plan is works as my mum come over to visit, bring her and my aunty to:

27Dec:

From Auckland to Wellington for six nights, visit my relatives and sign-seeing

2Jan: (Day 1)

From Wellington to picton (from to 8.25am – 11.35am) then to Blenheim to Kaikoura (travel time 2hrs), between picton to Kaikoura, is that any places I should stop by for visit? Will stay two nights.

3Jan: (Day 2)

Whale watching 10.30am (3 hrs) then explore around, any suggestion in that place?

4Jan: (Day 3)

From Kaikoura to Hanmer Spring (Appx 2.30hrs) go for spa, then straight to Lake Tekapu (appx travel 5.30hrs). Stay a night in Tekapu.

5Jan: (Day4)

Tekapu - visit the Good Shepherd then to Mount Cook (Appx 1.30hrs). Besides this, any suggestion we should visit? After that will go to Omaru to see little penguin and stay over night

6Jan: (Day5)

From Omaru to Dunedin (appx travel 2hrs) then explore, any suggestion we should visit near by? We will stay two nights in Dunedin.

7Jan:(Day6)

Dunedin to Invercargill (appx travel 3.5hrs), explore Invercargill for a day then back to Dunedin

8Jan: (Day7)

Dunedin to Queenstown (appx travel 4.3 hrs), any suggestion we should stop by and visit? We will stay 3 nights in Queenstown

9Jan: (Day8)

Queenstown to Wanaka

10Jan:(Day9)

Queenstown a day out - condola, steamboat

11Jan: (Day10)

Back to Auckland

Not so sure the driving time is correct or not as I checked in AA website. Can anyone advise please. Thanks.

Edited: 30 October 2011, 06:30
Akaroa Dolphins
Boat Tours, Eco Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching
Dolphin Encounter
Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Scuba & Snorkeling, Nature & Wildlife Tours
ecoSEAker
Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Swim with Dolphins, Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Kaikoura Kayaks
Dolphin & Whale Watching, Kayaking & Canoeing, Nature & Wildlife Tours
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,513 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: South Island trip - 9 days

Hello ckaren :)

Do you live in Auckland? Then you will know how unwise it is to plan driving 8 hours on our roads. As you must be aware, driver fatigue is the main cause of NZ road accidents. Please reconsider your plans.

my suggestion;

2 ferry to Picton, drive to Kaikoura

3 whale watch, drive to Hanmer Springs

4 drive to Tekapo

5 drive to Oamaru

6 drive to Dunedin

7 drive Catlins to Riverton or stay and explore Dunedin

8 drive to Queenstown...

hope this helps :)

Auckland, New...
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: South Island trip - 9 days

Thanks , that's only concern me in day 3. Is that any places to visit in Kaikoura? I heard Kaikoura famous in crayfish, is that right? Do you the place? Thanks again. :)

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
35,769 posts
362 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: South Island trip - 9 days

WL as usual has given you good advice. You should try not to drive more then 4-5 hours per day as the roads are very winding and there is lots to see along the way. Why Invercargill?

I don't quite understand your question about Kaikoura - it is famous for its marine life - seals, dolphins& whales. You can see the seals from the shore in several places. You can buy cooked crayfish (rock lobster) in several places along the highway too.

I would skip Dunedin AND Invercargill & spend more time in Wanaka & Queenstown.

Auckland, New...
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: South Island trip - 9 days

Thanks for your suggestion, I just noticed that I missed a word of the question regarding the kaikoura. :)

5. Re: South Island trip - 9 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2012, 04:20