We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Invercargill to boring and ugly for a stopover,

Stockholm
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Is Invercargill to boring and ugly for a stopover,

as I´ve read a couple of times on this forum?!

Husband and I are doing a two-week, anticlockwise circle, before Christmas, starting in Christchurch.

We don´t want to spend to much time in the car so the plan is something like this:

Akaroa - 2 nights (this is preebooked and we need that after a long flight)

Lake Tekapo - 1

Queenstown - 3

Te Anau - 2

Invercargill ? - 1 (via The Southern Scenic Route)

Dunedin - 2

Oamaru ? - 1

Timaru ? - 1

? - 1 (last night relatively close to the airport since we fly out early afternoon)

So now I´m not so sure about staying in Invercargill… Any other recommendations?

After Dunedin, is Oamaru – Timaru – the best way to go back to Christchurch? (I have difficulty finding nice accomodation on this stretch – recommendations for breakfastoholics would be appreciated!)

Also - is there any place that is particularly good for sunset horse rides on the beach on this stretch?

And where can we buy Blundstone´s – or similar NZ brand?

Thank you all!

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Invercargill to boring and ugly for a stopover,

How about Riverton? Or drive further to Kaka Point where you can see penguins come ashore in the evening.

I can't make a suggestion for your last night as Akaroa would have made the most sense. The drive up the east Coast has no actual beach views except for about 20 minutes from Dunedin. If wanting horseriding in knock-you-dead stunning scenery then go to Dart River Stables from Queenstown.

If this was my trip I would skip Oamaru and Timaru and go;

Akaroa

Aoraki/Mt Cook

Queenstown

Te Anau

Dunedin

Wanaka

Franz Josef

Punakaiki

Chch

Hope this helps :)

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,277 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Invercargill to boring and ugly for a stopover,

Invercargill is not ugly & boring - just not as fabulous as the rest of Southland!! If you are planning to drive through the Catlins, why not stay at Owaka? Best solution would be to stay at BOTH Riverton & Owaka & skip Timaru, spending your last night in Christchurch.

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
2,844 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Invercargill to boring and ugly for a stopover,

If you are considering staying overnight somewhere in the SSR then Kaka Point is a good option.

www.catlins.co.nz/about-nugget-view.html

Good accommodation and stunning sea views. They maybe went overboard describing it as being in a private bush setting, but it is cheap, conveniant, and clean. (and it has great views.)

There is Penguin viewing (Yellow Eyed Penguins), and the walk out to the lighthouse is great, and there is a seal colony. All in all a great overnight stop, and It's only about 15 minutes from Balclutha.

sydney australia
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Invercargill to boring and ugly for a stopover,

instead of driving up the east coast _ I would suggest you turn inland at Oamaru to Omarama - the lakes are just beautiful, then to Mt Cook - the glacier and Twizel (not much on offer) then to Lake Tekapo - which is just beautiful

plus the amazing "Church of the Good Shepherd"

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,273 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Invercargill to boring and ugly for a stopover,

My DIL and family shifted from Tauranga in the Bay of Plenty (that says it all) to Invercargill a year ago and absolutely love it. That's saying something for the place. Visit with open eyes and see the beauty within.

Edited: 22 November 2011, 05:47
Stockholm
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Invercargill to boring and ugly for a stopover,

Thank you SO much for the answers – I´ve considered all your suggestions very thoroughly!

I still haven´t made up my mind about Invercargill, but Kaka Point certainly must be one of our stops.

If we skip going up to Timaru, and turn inland again at Oamaru (or there about), which way is the best to go (for going back to Christchurch)?

And what´s in Balclutha?

Thanks again!

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Invercargill to boring and ugly for a stopover,

From Dunedin you could fly to Chch or drive up the East Coast (which is not coastal). It's not a scenic drive but you can do it in a day just to get it over and done with. There is little point in heading inland from Oamaru.

What's in Balclutha? I'm here at the moment! It's a small town which services the local farming community. it is also the gateway to the Catlins (when coming from Dunedin). Best to stay at Kaka Point, I think.

And if driving through the Catlins, do stop at Cannibal Bay, my favourite beach - I'm off to there shortly.

Enjoy :)

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,175 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Invercargill to boring and ugly for a stopover,

Personally I think Invercargil would be a great place to live, but when it comes to tourist destinations the best feature is the road out! While the Catlins is a beautiful Drive I think you are spending your time on the wrong coast and should conside going from Queenstown through Wanaka and back up the West Coast. The East Coast is largely patoral, a mixture of dairy farms and sheep farms soon to be converted to dairy. The road touches the coast for about 15 minutes from Invercargil to Christchurch, most of the rest of the time it is one giant plain of sheep and cows. The West side is glaciers, mountains, waterfalls and spectacular coast line. Punakiki or Balclutha... it's a no contest.

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,843 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Invercargill to boring and ugly for a stopover,

I do not like to tone of the title of this thread, and am offended by it. I would never consider asking about any place, by suggesting it is 'boring and ugly' .

It has excellent accomodation, it is also the gateway to Stewart Island which is a must see for those who love nature. It has all the ammenities of any small city and very friendly southern welcome for all tourists.

The streets are wide so is uncluttered.

It is also the most southern city in the world

Edited: 22 November 2011, 20:01
Stockholm
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Invercargill to boring and ugly for a stopover,

Coaster 2: I´m very sorry if you are offended by the title – that was not my intention at all!

It thought it was quite clear that is was ironically ment… But as I´ve read on this forum that there are nicer places for a stopover along the stretch Te Anau – Dunedin, I thought I should ask.

I also should have mentioned that we´ve been to the northern part of South Island once before e.g the northern part of the west coast – sorry again! So this trip is a south-circle from Christchurch.

Although we don´t have glaciers in Sweden, but with the last WINTERS in mind, we are not to keen on snow and ice, so that´s why we left out Franz Josef/Fox glacier.

WanakaLakes: Cannibal Bay is now on my list!

Finally: I´ve now made up my mind about Invercargill. We definitely must do a stopover there – otherwise I would spend the rest of my life wondering what it´s like…

Thank you all – you´ve been very helpful!