We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Petrol Station

Singapore
12 posts
Save Topic
Petrol Station

Hi

I will be on a driving trip from Christchurch to Mt Cook, passing Lake Tekapo and then on to Arrowtown/Glenorchy/Queenstown for the next 11 days.

Where would be the recommended stops at petrol stations to fill up during the trip.

Looking forward to the trip.

Thanks

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,130 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Petrol Station

We top up with petrol in Twizel on the way through to Queenstown. We also use the petrol break as an excuse to stop for a break. You can top up again in Frankton or Queenstown.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
35,221 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Petrol Station

Lots of petrol stations - Tekapo has at least 2 on the highway. Twizel has 1 but you have to detour off the highway. If you use the AA maps website it can show you petrol stations. Just don't allow the fuel to get too low as petrol in Aoraki NP is very expensive.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,461 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Petrol Station

I always stop in Tekapo for petrol, lunch or snacks, the loo and a walk by the lake.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,130 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Petrol Station

Omarama also has a petrol station before you head up the Lindis Pass.

sydney australia
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Petrol Station

Lots and lots of places to stop for fuel,

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
8,107 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Petrol Station

Try the Wrinkly Ram in Omarama for a coffee and loo stop. There are petrol stations at quite regular distances on this road. Most cars will get from Christchurch to Queeenstown/Wanaka on a tank but if you forgot to check, there is plenty of choice.

Melbourne
13 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Petrol Station

Hi, I will be driving from Akaroa to Mt Cook and had the same question about petrol - except I'll be traveling on Christmas Day. Will service stations be open? Thanks!

8. Re: Petrol Station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 23:16