We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Milford Trail REALLY that good? Really 4 Days?

North Carolina
Level Contributor
231 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Is Milford Trail REALLY that good? Really 4 Days?

Trying to piece together a 2 weeks trip to the South Island. I know Milford Trail gets rave reviews. There's availability during my travel window, but does it really take 4 days? It's only 32 miles. I'm 42 and in very good shape. I don;t mind spending the 4 days if it's warranted, but don't want to paste time either. Any thoughts?

South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,404 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Milford Trail REALLY that good? Really 4 Days?

The Milford track is a great walk but it is quite regimented. You must stay in the designated hut for each night and you can only walk it from the Te Anau end.

In my opinion there are equally spectacular walks in the area. The Routeburn and Kepler tracks are just as good and would probably suit you better.

Edited: 24 December 2011, 20:09
Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
349 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Milford Trail REALLY that good? Really 4 Days?

You can only do the Milford track at one pace and in the one direction, because that is how the booking system for the huts works. Probably the best alternate tracks would be the Routeburn and Kepler. These are different to the Milford, but just as good. I have only done the Milford and Routeburn so far, but preferred the Routeburn slightly over the Milford. This is a slightly shorter tramp and you can set your own pace as you can book any huts you please. You can also combine this tramp with either the Greenstone or Caples to make a longer tramp if you like.

These tracks can all be done a lot faster than the standard time. The mountain runners do the Kepler in just over 4 and 1/2 hours, the Routeburn in just under 3 hours!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
231 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Milford Trail REALLY that good? Really 4 Days?

Both of these replies really help - thank you

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,070 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Milford Trail REALLY that good? Really 4 Days?

The Milfrod Track is rated one of the best in the world for good reason but for you it might be frustrating. I recommend the Kepler as it is a circle and so you don't have to wait for transport. Do not underestimate the Routeburn or Kepler however. Both have serious alpine areas where you need to be well-equipped if bad weather strikes. Those alpine runners have back-up teams supplying the water, food etc. You don't!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,487 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Milford Trail REALLY that good? Really 4 Days?

Just remember this is the first bit of high land that the winds from Antarctica hit. The weather changes rapidly. A few years ago we walked the Milford and had perfect blistering hot summer weather for 3 days. The next day we left in 3 groups to meet our transport. The slow group went first. They crossed a river ankle deep. We were in middle group 1/2 hour behind and it was knee deep. The fittest tail end group left behind us and had to link arms and wade. Experienced climbers and tramper from overseas get into trouble in NZ mountains because of the pace of change.

Depite the inherant risks, properly equiped trampers will have a magnificent time.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
231 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Milford Trail REALLY that good? Really 4 Days?

Thank you both for your replies. Always good to be mindful of the area and the potential pace of change.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
624 posts
790 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Milford Trail REALLY that good? Really 4 Days?

It really is worthwhile doing the Milford Track and there are a couple of side trips you can do as well, for example to the falls. It also is nice not to rush and enjoy the scenery and wildlife.

8. Re: Is Milford Trail REALLY that good? Really 4 Days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2013, 10:21