We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions between christchurch and kaikoura

Stanwood, Washington
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Topic
Suggestions between christchurch and kaikoura

I managed to miss a day when booking our vacation, so we have a extra day to spare between Christchurch and Kaikoura before traveling to Blenheim, then counter clockwise around the island. Any suggestions.

Thank you

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,565 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions between christchurch and kaikoura

Hanmer Springs is a possibility. Otherwise add it in at Kaikoura or later where there is more to do.

Wellington, NZ
Level Contributor
341 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions between christchurch and kaikoura

You could also visit the wineries around Waipara.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,599 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions between christchurch and kaikoura

It's about 2.5 hours from Christchurch to Kailkoura and while it's a delightful journey there are are not really any places I would recomend an overnight. We recently took a caravan on it's first trip just to try it out and we stayed in Cheviot. While there are some really nice cafes and wineries along the way I'd have to say we do not see it as another destination.

Zhuhai's suggestion of Hanmer is a good one. It adds to the distance a little. Personally I'd add the day somewhere else.

4. Re: Suggestions between christchurch and kaikoura

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2013, 10:19