We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help - beginning to get cold feet ....

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
3,605 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Help - beginning to get cold feet ....

I like to plan my trips in advance, and since I only have 6 days to tour, I have booked my rental car and all trips, including full day kayak-cruise-walk at Abel Tasman, Fox Glacier helihike, Doubtful sound full-day tour and others.

My trip is the 2nd week of March. Almost everything I've booked can still be cancelled free of charge.

Reading some other posts that discuss the weather and worrying that I could be rained out at places like Fox, I'm beginning to wonder whether it would be better to do my 1-day at Abel Tasman and then fly from Nelson to Queenstown and book all my other tours (plus car rental if necessary) at the last minute (like a day in advance for each tour) from Queenstown, playing it by ear.

Am I being unnecessarily worried?

Kaikoura Kayaks
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing, Dolphin & Whale Watching
Dart River Adventures
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Speed Boats Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing
Glacier Country Kayaks
Helicopter Tours, Stand-Up Paddleboarding, Kayaking & Canoeing
Pohatu Penguin Habitat
Eco Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing
Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Help - beginning to get cold feet ....

Since you only have 6 days, do you really want to spend part of this precious time booking tours and car rental? Yes, it might rain at the Glaciers, or it can be a glorious day. It is a risk you take whenever you come to NZ. If you get to the Glaciers and it rains, stay and enjoy the hot pools, sleep the night and next morning continue towards Wanaka. Even driving the beautiful scenery is part of the travel in NZ.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
35,855 posts
362 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help - beginning to get cold feet ....

You can't have rainforest without rain. NZ's glaciers are unique in that they reach nearly to sea level amidst rainforest.

Flying will save you a day's driving but all you will see is airports. At least with driving, even in the rain, you'll see the countryside - sheep, cattle & deer farms, even a salmon farm.

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
3,605 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help - beginning to get cold feet ....

OK, so what I'm understanding is that I shouldn't worry about the weather, and I shouldn't change my plans - what will be will be, weather wise, and driving is a good way to see the countryside. Right?

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,536 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help - beginning to get cold feet ....

Yep, no need to worry about something you can't control.

Remain flexible and enjoy :)

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
3,605 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help - beginning to get cold feet ....

Thanks all. Will do :-)

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
11 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help - beginning to get cold feet ....

We just traveled there in January, which is supposed to be high season, and found no trouble booking last minute activities. The only one that may fill up would be Doubtful Sound. Otherwise, I would cancel what activities you've booked and wait til you're there. I would keep your car rental though. BTW, we had a very good experience with Apex. We rented from QT airport and kept it for 10 days with drop off at Nelson Airport.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
8,201 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help - beginning to get cold feet ....

Just have a good light weight but waterproof jacket. If it does rain the waterfalls will roar etc. My best ever visit to Punakiki was during a westerly gale and the rain was belting down. However it is possible to enjoy the same place on a great day, its just a different experience.

8. Re: Help - beginning to get cold feet ....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 June 2013, 10:46