We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christchurch - Wanaka - Christchurch in August with kids

sydney
Level Contributor
183 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Christchurch - Wanaka - Christchurch in August with kids

Hi there,

Tickets are book for 9 days/9 nights flying in and out Christchurch.

We will be travelling with our two boys aged 4 and 1.

We will go skiing in Cardrona for 3 or 4 days but I also want to have a look at other places along the road such as Mt Cook and/or lake Tekapo.

I would really appreciate if you could please give me some advice regarding our itinerary before i finalise it start booking accommodation.

Day 1 – Fly in Christchurch + night in Christchurch

Day 2 – Drive to Mt Cook + night in Mt Cook (is the Kea Track do-able with small children at that time of the year?)

Day 3 – Drive to Wanaka + night in Wanaka

Day 4 – Ski Wanaka

Day 5 – Ski Wanaka

Day 6 – Ski Wanaka

Day 7 – Drive to Lake Tekapo + night Tekapo

Day 8 – Hot Springs and ice skating in Tekapo + night in Tekapo

Day 9 – Drive to Christchurch + night in Christchurch

Day 10 – Visit Christchurch (International Antartic Centre) + Fly to Sydney (flight departs at 4PM)

I am not sure one night in Mt Cook is enough? Should we stay 2 nights?

What about Lake Tekapo? Is two nights a good idea? Or should we stay only one night and then extend our stay in Wanaka or Mt cook for one more night?

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christchurch - Wanaka - Christchurch in August with kids

I think you have a really nicely balanced trip planned and would leave it as is.

Once at Aoraki/Mt Cook ask your accommodation or the DOC rangers for the best walking track with kids. They will have the most up to date weather and track conditions.

www.wotif.com is great for discounted accommodation and checking availability.

Safe travels :)

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
30,918 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christchurch - Wanaka - Christchurch in August with kids

It is so weather dependent! If the weather is nice 2 nights at Mt Cook would be lovely - but if not ..... ;-(

3. Re: Christchurch - Wanaka - Christchurch in August with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 23:16