We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What I Wish Someone Had Told Me

Summersville, West...
Level Contributor
1,166 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
What I Wish Someone Had Told Me

What have you discovered that you wish someone might have told you before traveling to New Zealand? It could be anything from supermarket etiquitte, driving words of wisdom, inexpensive groceries, best places to buy gas/diesel, public toilets, how not to annoy the locals, how to be a good visitor, etc.

London
Level Contributor
39 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: What I Wish Someone Had Told Me

Thanks. That's a bit like the UK with VAT. It's a better idea than say, Canada where you can never work out the exact amount to pay because the tax is added at the till.

California
Level Contributor
7,498 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: What I Wish Someone Had Told Me

I wish someone would have told me that Air New Zealand has a weight limit for carry on bags. 7kg (about 15 pounds). Other airlines I've travelled have dimension limits, but not weight. We ended up checking our carry on. Others did the mad scramble to reshuffle their belongings.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,090 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: What I Wish Someone Had Told Me

Weight limits on cabin baggage apply around the world apart from the USA. Just as there is a weight limit on checked airline baggage apart from the USA where there is a limit on baggage numbers.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
533 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: What I Wish Someone Had Told Me

Re GST. It is correct to say that price marked items will already have the GST included.

However, if you are paying for a service such as mechanical work on your vehicle, many businesses and contractors will quote you a price plus GST. That is, "It will cost $125 plus GST" (some say this as a single sound rather than letters) You then have to do the mental maths or ask to work out what the final price is.

When comparing quotes from different suppliers, it is important to confirm that the price being quoted is with or without GST. Some will make their price seem more competitive by leaving off GST and 'assuming' you know that the additional charge applies. The implication of this being that GST is not their charge, it is an additional cost/tax imposed by the Government.

Also worth noting for overseas travellers

"GST is not charged on goods that are exported from New Zealand. You may be able to avoid having GST charged on purchases if you don’t take possession of those goods while you are in New Zealand. There are two ways of doing this:

1. Ask the retailer to mail the goods directly to your overseas address; or

2. Ask about the “sealed bag” system.

You can use the “sealed bag” system if you’ll be leaving New Zealand within five days of the sale, and the retailer is authorised to offer the service. Under this system, the retailer puts your purchase in a sealed bag which is then sent to the airport. You pick up the goods at The Collection Point as you pass through Customs.

The sealed bag system is most likely to be available through large retailers (like national jewellery stores), and businesses in the more popular tourist spots such as Queenstown and Rotorua.

GST is not charged on goods purchased from duty free shops which operate at international airports."

(Source: http://bit.ly/MB5sDM Auckland Airport)

Oz
Level Contributor
12,385 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: What I Wish Someone Had Told Me

Hi,

There are great "drivers roads" in NZ...............However the police patrols are to be found outside the main centres in contravention of the information I was given prior to my first trip to NZ to compete in a car rally-:(

The "good news" is the fines in NZ are nothing like their OZ counterparts in value-:)

In the words of the song "I won't get fooled again.........."

Canandaigua
Level Contributor
719 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: What I Wish Someone Had Told Me

I don't want to disillusion anyone, but here in upstate New York we walk our shopping carts back to the area they belong all by ourselves as well...

We also have police with radar guns waiting to give unsuspecting folks with out of state license plates tickets...guess some things are the same all over.

We don't have sand flies, but the black flies in the Adirondack Mountains sound similar.

Edited: 28 June 2012, 03:13
Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,250 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: What I Wish Someone Had Told Me

This is an interesting thread. For much of it, I thought you were describing Nova Scotia. We are super friendly and expect to chat; we have corrals for shopping carts or we walk them back to the store; we have 15% tax but it is added on and is a real pain; drivers are so courteous they will stop for someone jaywalking; our back roads are slow, but we do not have your mountains.

Thanks for all the useful tidbits (not the same as a Timbit!)

Edited: 28 June 2012, 03:26
Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
533 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: What I Wish Someone Had Told Me

We have Timbits as well, though they are not called that. We call them, well, doughnut holes. Duh!

We do like a bit of Hokey Pokey, which is not quite the same as Hanky Panky!!

Edited: 28 June 2012, 05:56
Iowa
Level Contributor
290 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: What I Wish Someone Had Told Me

The difference between the two buttons to flush the toilets!

Canandaigua
Level Contributor
719 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: What I Wish Someone Had Told Me

We have timbits too!