We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where is that PERFECT walk?

Canada
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Where is that PERFECT walk?

Well, OUR definition of that perfect walk is:

- In the South Island

- Walkable during Jan/Feb.

- Under 4 hours, round trip

- Not TOO strenuous - give us a break... we're in our 60s. Mind you, in dang good shape for our age, but did I mention we are in our 60s?

Finally, and MOST importantly:

It needs to be special... leading to waterfalls, a great lookout, something unique?

Where would you send us?

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,891 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where is that PERFECT walk?

walks in NZ depend on the weather and the season.

A nice fine day is so special, but also the season , when the birdlife makes their presence well known. Native Pigeons which get drunk on the ripe nectar and even fly under your picnic table at full speed.

Check out north of Westport the Charming creek walkway. it follows an old railway line (so no hills for 'old people over sixty' ) with wonderful waterfalls at the end. further north go to Karamea to the Opara Arches, again it is so special not a lot of people know about it as i Karamea is off the beaten track of most visiors to NZ

check out the Doc web site …govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/… for all the tracks and walks in NZ administered by DoC

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where is that PERFECT walk?

North of Kaikoura is Ohau Point, where many people stop to see seals (there's a decent size parking area there). On the other side of the road is a short (10 minute) walk to a waterfall. Waterfall isn't particularly special, but the pool underneath is a nursary for seal pups. Very cool.

Are you going through the Catlins? There are some beautiful waterfalls and walks there.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where is that PERFECT walk?

Coaster2 - thx for the link... i'll check it out. trouble is, these government sites try to be politically correct and don't recommend one place over another...

Weta - yes, we'll be going thru the Catlins... anything you recommend there?

thx

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where is that PERFECT walk?

Purakaunui Falls are my favourite waterfalls ever. Very, very pretty. Also the Cathedral Caves are worth exploring. They are only accessible at low tide and there is a small fee to access the private land ($5 per person from memory).

Nugget Point has lovely views from a lighthouse and there's a chance of sightings of seals and penguins (good chance for seals, timing important for penguins).

I've been to McLean Falls - unfortunately right after a period of very heavy rain so it was a raging torrent of muddy water. Under normal flow conditions it looks beautiful, and it's across the road from Cathedral Caves. The Whistling Frog cafe at the base of the road is good.

5. Re: Where is that PERFECT walk?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 August 2012, 23:35
Edited: 23 August 2012, 23:35
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,633 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where is that PERFECT walk?

Key Summit, Milford Road, near Te Anau

just about any section of the Abel Tasman - you can water taxi in/out …govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/…

enjoy :)

Canada
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where is that PERFECT walk?

Thanks for the info....

i was reading another post here, recommending the walk around lake matheson... does anyone know how long that will take?

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,633 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where is that PERFECT walk?

depends on how fast you walk :)

Post 1 above gave the link to all the walking tracks - but here, I have clicked on it for you - …govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/…

Canada
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where is that PERFECT walk?

WL - thx. I actually looked at the site... must have missed this walk.

Nown for a real "nit-picky" question - from a photographer's point of view, is it better to wak Lake Matheson at dawn or dusk?

10. Re: Where is that PERFECT walk?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2013, 05:15