We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One night in or near Christchurch

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
51 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
One night in or near Christchurch

Planning a short road trip from Christchurch to Picton, then over to Wellington. We fly into Christchurch at about 3.40pm with a 3 year old so will probably spend a night in or near Christchurch before we head off. Any suggestions? Something in a fun area, close to cafe's and restaurants. Happy for it to be out of town as long as it's not too long a drive. We are going to head to Greymouth the next day I think, so somewhere in that direction.Thanks

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,257 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One night in or near Christchurch

Anywhere along Riccarton Rd would be a good start. Plenty of food and accomm choices. But prebook. Last minute vacancies are harder to find, and almost certainly won't be at what would been your first ( or 2nd/3rd ) choice.

Compare the options on sites like wotif.

Edited: 20 September 2012, 01:38
Oz
Level Contributor
11,696 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One night in or near Christchurch

Hi,

Christchurch isn't the happiest of places at the moment and I wouldn't like to explain the devestation to my 3yo grandson (why? why? why) as the sights may well lead to nightmares.

IMHO you would be best to stay at the airport (Sudima Hotel) visit the Antartic centre next door and then depart for the rest of your holiday. That way you have contributed to the local tourism industry without subjecting yourselves to what is at best a sobering experience.

Cheers,

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
533 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One night in or near Christchurch

"Christchurch isn't the happiest of places at the moment"

Respectfully, but that is utter rubbish. There are amazing things happening in Christchurch at present.

In the past couple of weeks alone. there have been TEDexChCh conference with international and local speakers, sustainable building workshops, ongoing developments of vibrant social groups such as

Rekindle,

Life in Vacant Spaces,

Ministry of Awesomeness,

Gap Fillers,

Sam's exchange of volunteer labour for concert tickets....

to name but a few.

Christchurch is modelling new exciting innovations in urban renewal and regenerating innovative social and business enterprises at a head-spinning rate. It will export globally new standards of excellence in so many fields.

It is a very happening positive place, fostering visitors from all over the world to learn from what's developing here. As with a situation without precedents, mistakes have been made and learnt from.

It is an ongoing environment with evolving collaborations between community, government and commercial. Amazing place to watch it unfold.

Oz
Level Contributor
11,696 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One night in or near Christchurch

Hi Joan,

With respect I found our visit to Christchurch in August a very disturbing experience. Maybe as a retired emergency services worker I'm more sensitive than some?

Full marks to those undertaking the demolition and rebuilding of all varieties. IMHO persons thinking of visiting Christchurch need to be aware of the negatives. It is a disaster area in the recovery phase.

All the best,

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
533 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One night in or near Christchurch

OZ, respect, appreciate, and understand your sentiments. There is just the danger of creating a self-fulfilling prophecy and expectation.

There is devastation in some areas, yes. It may be sobering for some. But there is so much life springing out from amongst the rubble.

Groups like Gapfillers are doing just that. Using vacant abandoned spaces to frame and contextualise the new vitality of a growing city.

There is no stagnancy in Christchurch. This is not New Orleans revisited. The feelings in Christchurch are largely of hope and aspiration.

The future is wild and wonderful place. It's a helova ride to be on. Embrace it, embrace life.........

Edited: 20 September 2012, 02:37
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,310 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One night in or near Christchurch

I agree with Joan here. A visitor staying in the Riccarton or even Merivale area for one night need not see any obvious signs of the earthquakes. From my home in the NW I see very little without actively looking (apart from the strange tilt of the floor!). Construction & demolition work is part of a normal dynamic process.

Rockhampton...
Level Contributor
156 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One night in or near Christchurch

Hi,

Since you are arriving late afternoon, and with a young child, it would probably be best to look for somewhere within cooee of the airport yet has eateries and activities nearby.

There are several hotels and motels within 5 - 10 mins that offer a range of accommodation options and budget.

We stay at the Copthorne Airport Hotel which has a free 24hr shuttle service to and from the airport and only 5 mins away. It is family friendly and has a pool, restaurant, etc and is well rated.

You will need to book accommodation prior to arriving in Christchurch as it is very difficult to get on speck.

All the best :)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
51 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One night in or near Christchurch

Thanks everyone for the advise. I'm not sure we'll have much time in Christchurch. We are quite keen to get on the road and out to the counryside, so your suggestions have been very useful.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
329 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One night in or near Christchurch

"Christchurch isn't the happiest of places at the moment"

OMG it isn't that bad! I have been living here throughout all of the earthquakes and rebuilding to date. (I was working in the intensive care unit at Chch Hospital on 22 Feb). Many people are quite happy, and making the most of the new opportunities that have come. Yes some people are struggling and some are in real hardship, but much of the city you will barely notice any damage, and there is still heaps to visit and see and do :-)

Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One night in or near Christchurch

Hi, I see alot of suggestion to stay around Riccarton area.

Would you also recommend to stay near the city centre, to save the trouble of finding parking spot.

Thinking of doing abit of shopping if possible & I'm keen to check out Restart at Cashel Street & also Regent Street.

Is it worth visiting?