Hoping to get some advice on suggested driving routes for my upcoming trip next week.
Here's our itinerary:
- We're flying into CHC and will be driving straight to Kaikoura where we'll stay overnight and do a whale watching tour early that next morning. After the tour we'll be heading straight out and driving to...
- Franz Joesph Glacier, where we'll stay overnight and head towards the glaciers the next morning. After that we'll head out later that day to...
- Queenstown: we'll be staying two nights here and one of the days take a tour to Milford Sound. The other day will be doing some activities around town.
A few points / questions:
1) Would like to drive through Mt. Cook / along Lake Tekapo on the way to Franz Joseph from Kaikoura. Is there a side road off SH 8 that will allow us to pass by both on the way to Franz Joseph?
2) What route would you suggest the next day from Franz Joesph to Queenstown?
3) Would you recommend flying or driving back to Christchurch or leaving the car in QT and flying back? If we drive, we'll have to do it all in one day.
We have a total of 6 days to get all this in. Dates in NZ are Oct 18-23rd.
Thanks in advance for the help!