We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

motorhome in winter

bribane qld...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
motorhome in winter

hi, i am planning a nz south island holiday in june/july, is going the motorhome and caravan park option mad???. i did it in oct a few years back and the whole family just loved it. is it going to be too cold to do this in june/july i just would love to see more winter snow, my hubby is from invercargill so he is ok in winter weather just not sure if i'm mad to do it this way in mid winter?? thanks

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,717 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: motorhome in winter

With a decent motorhome it isn't the cold you need to worry about so much as the rain and the snow with the possibility of being copped up in small space for an extended period. I've spent many a night in a van in the cold, but really don't like doing so in heavy rain.

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: motorhome in winter

Well I am not qualified to judge whether or not you are sane, however June / July is mid winter and the weather can be fickle but you can expect snow on alpine passes, cold weather, ice in shaded areas on the road and on the roads itself directly after heavy snow. Roads may be closed, albeit for a shot period, restrictions will apply on alpine passes requireing snow chains to be fitted and no towing.

If you are comming for skiing, then you will be parked up in a base town, and venturing up skifield roads, or take the bus services up the mountain which most operate.

living in a camper isnt so hard with good heating etc, but cooking can cause a lot of dampnes in a closed up environment.

Comming from Invercargill may prepatre hubby for cold and wind, but it does not prepare him for snow as it seldom snows in Invercargill, and even when it does, the roads are flat and level.

day time weather ufter a 'good frost' is generaly sparkling clear with bright sunshine.

I am not attempting to put you off, so please post your proposed Itinerary, and try to include room for alternative routes / plans in the event of the weather not helping you

Mentioned in this post
Invercargill
Invercargill
Southland Region, New Zealand
Oz
Level Contributor
14,215 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: motorhome in winter

Hi,

Motorhomes on the roads in winter are mobile chicanes and a total pain in the pancreas to other drivers heading to the ski fields. I still have vivid memories of following one up to the Remarks last winter it more than doubled the time for the trip.

Please save your money and my sanity and stick to the summer/autumn/spring for your motor home fix. The rental car and B&B/Motel/Hotel option is cheaper and if you rent an AWD whilst you still need to carry chains you often don't need to fit them.

Cheers,

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
8,709 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: motorhome in winter

I've had a motorhome in the snow. It was warm and toastie. Get one with a diesel heater which you run on low all night. We found that if you left the drivers window down about a cm it cut the condensation down.

bribane qld...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: motorhome in winter

thanks all for the advice, i'm still keen on doing the motorhome but i think i may stick to the east coast , ohh and i would always pull over to let others thru if we were slow. we will be staying with family in the colder areas, :)

sydney australia
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: motorhome in winter

We did a motorhome in the early part of winter. The one we had had an electric heather on thermostat - so we just set that and we were toasty.

We had a small van and had to schlep to the amenties block- sometimes taking a shower in a big cold block was a bit of a challenge but all part of the joy of travelling.

We loved the campervan and the places we could stop at

7. Re: motorhome in winter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 21:16