We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Campervaning South Island in early May

texas
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Campervaning South Island in early May

Would like advice from anyone who has driven S. I. (glaciers, Mt. Cook, West Coast) in a Campervan in early May.

a) Were any roads closed/icy? and b) will a self contained campervan be warm at night? My wife and I are retirees with 20 days to tour. Suggestions appreciated.

Oz
Level Contributor
12,913 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Campervaning South Island in early May

Hi,

Compared to the level of comfort and value for money you experience with many motels in the USA, New Zealand Motels are "streets ahead" in amenity and value.

Campervans are for those who enjoy driving a truck in alpine conditions, on narrow roads blocking the traffic behind them. A much cheaper and more plesant option is to rent a car and stay in motels, B&Bs, onsite cabins etc. You will save dollars on the rental, insurance and fuel to say nothing of your sanity unless you are one of those people who like motor home holidays.

Cheers,

Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,465 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Campervaning South Island in early May

It will be really cold. I'd stay in hotels and drive a sensibly sized car around. The nz roads are not dead straight dead flat affairs. You will be bumping along very slowly in a camper van.

texas
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Campervaning South Island in early May

Thanks for your thoughts.

Sounds like the car motel approach is better.

Thanks for taking time to respond.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
8,013 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Campervaning South Island in early May

I'd offer another view. May is still Autuun (Fall) It will be rather settled but cool in the evenings. Road closures will be rare, although it could be frosty early in the morning and late afternoon. We do not get the extreme winter that you may in the states. It will be comfortable in a motor home. Just get one with a diesel heater which you leave on low overnight with a window slightly open to avoid condensation.

While not many roads are like freeways, they are still quality sealed roads. Parts are particuarly windy (twisty) but not usually for long periods. May is off season so there could be good deals around.

5. Re: Campervaning South Island in early May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2014, 07:16