We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exchanging Currency

Adelaide
Level Contributor
145 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Exchanging Currency

I was originally planning on using my debit card for most of my purchases in NZ but then I spoke to the bank and was told that I will get charged a fee each time I use it and if I use an ATM I will get charged $5.00 each time. So I'm not sure how to do this. Should I get money before I leave? I know the bank have a better rate than the exchange places in the mall, they also charge a fee to convert your currency.

So any advise on how to change our money and get the best rate would be great! Thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
95,926 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exchanging Currency

Find a different bank!

If you open a Citibank Plus account, you can make withdrawals at any overseas ATM without Citibank imposing any fee. If you use an ATM associated with Citibank, the fee for use of the ATM will be waived.

Then a 28 Degree Mastercard will allow you to make fee-free credit card purchases overseas.

See http://www.nickbooth.id.au/Tips/Cards.htm

Adelaide
Level Contributor
145 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exchanging Currency

Are there many Citibank ATM's in NZ?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
6,488 posts
381 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Exchanging Currency

I don't know of any Citibank ATMs in New Zealand. I don't know if they have an association with a New Zealand bank either.

Mentioned in this post
New Zealand
New Zealand
South Pacific
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
95,926 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Exchanging Currency

It looks as if New Zealand is one of the countries where Citibank has no retail presence and no affiliated ATMs.

Mentioned in this post
New Zealand
New Zealand
South Pacific
Adelaide
Level Contributor
145 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Exchanging Currency

What are some of the banks in new Zealand?

6. Re: Exchanging Currency

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 June 2015, 16:35
Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
13,040 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Exchanging Currency

Westpac banks are part of the global banking alliance and waive the fees.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_ATM_Alliance

Get a Westpac account in Australia. I have a ScotiaBank account just for travelling and have saved a lot of ATM fees.

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
8,432 posts
455 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Exchanging Currency

You are from Austrlalia. A number of our main banks in NZ are also in Australia. Westpac is one. ANZ is another. And BNZ is, or use to be owned by National

australia bank and Lloyds. So check those three.

they are the three main banks in NZ.

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
9. Re: Exchanging Currency

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2014, 06:18