We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Queen Charlotte walk

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
69 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Queen Charlotte walk

Hi, my husband and I are planning on doing the Queen Charlotte walk in September and plan to do it over 3 nights, 4 days. As you can imagine we have many questions and have been looking at many different sites trying to work out what we are going to do. We are (due to our ages!!) not going to stay at the camping grounds, and will look at either backpackers or the lodges. Would love love love to hear from anyone who has recently done the walk with info as to what are the best places to stay and also anything else that would be of any help. I have been wanting to do a walk in New Zealand for a long time and love the planning that goes into holidays. Once again I will be indebted to fellow travelers with ideas. Looking forwarding to hearing from anyone. Cheers.

Level Contributor
306 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Queen Charlotte walk

Are you planning on a freedom walk or a guided one?

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
69 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Queen Charlotte walk

We have decided to go on an independent walk are just going to book places prior to our arrival in NZ.

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
69 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Queen Charlotte walk

Our trip will be a freedom one.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,085 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Queen Charlotte walk

I stayed in "The Woolshed" at Endeavour Inlet. Two very nice self- contained cottages & the owner was very friendly. Furneaux Lodge is very attractive but it didn't suit my schedule. I enjoyed Punga Cove but many have given it a bad rap. I liked it so much I stayed an extra night there when it rained - went for a kayak & swam in the pool! The cafe on the wharf was pleasant too.

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
69 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Queen Charlotte walk

Hi thanks for your reply will look at these places. Cheers

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,233 posts
424 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Queen Charlotte walk

I love the Queen Charlotte walk. Done it a few times. Start at Ships Cove. It depends on start time. If its later in the day go to resolution cabins. They are only an hour or so walk. But have kayak hire and it is lovely.

But if you start in the morning walk through to Endeavour inlet. Next day to Portage, then to Mistletoe Bay or out to Anakiwa. They would be fairly big walks though. I love lochmara, but its a bit off the track. Punga Cove is in a wonderful location. Its probably a bit tired, but I stayed there and would go back. Must dos include looking for phosphorence in the water late at night. Glow-worms and swimming in the lovely sounds.

7. Re: Queen Charlotte walk

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2014, 06:16