We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

greymouth car rental and south island itinerary approval

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
4 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
greymouth car rental and south island itinerary approval

my plan was to -

Day 1 (09 Mar) - fly into CC

Day 2 - take the Tranzalpine to Greymouth and then drive to Fox/Franz Josef

Day 3 - Glacier hike

Day 4 - drive to Queenstown and spend 4 days that would include a day trip to Milford Sound and the adventure stuff. (skydiving, jetski etc)

The problem is I am finding it difficult to get a car rental company for 3 days from Greymouth and drop off at Queentown. It seems much easier to get car on rent from CC and a drop off at Queenstown.

Would you recommend a drive all the way from CC to Queenstown? or can you help with car rental companies that can give me a car in greymouth for 3 days with a drop off at Queentown? (Apex and NZ Rental cars dont, avis site is down)

Any help with my itinerary and car rental at greymouth is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

1. Re: greymouth car rental and south island itinerary approval

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 June 2015, 00:05
Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,849 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: greymouth car rental and south island itinerary approval

Another angle atthe same problem , have you considered Flying Christchurch to Queenstown , then after Queenstown hire a car with a drop off in Greymouth? Getting cars back to greymouth is a huge cost for renatl car companies, so they may hire with Greymouth drop off

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,664 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: greymouth car rental and south island itinerary approval

Personally I'd drive all the way. Arthurs Pass is a lovely scenic drive and with a car you can stop in the Village for a coffee and encounter with keas ( alpine parrots) or even walk to a waterfall. The engineering of the Otira viaduct is also spectacular and you can pull off the road to view it from the top of the pass. On the train you go through the actual pass in a tunnel.

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
4 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: greymouth car rental and south island itinerary approval

Thanks for the quick responses. Yes, I think it is better to hire a car in CC and drive all the way to Queenland via Greymouth and the Glaciers.

Do you think it is better to drive from Franz Josef to Te Anau (about 6-7 hours I guess with the stops) and then take a coach tour the next day to Milford Sound or go direct to Queentown from Franz Josef and take a day coach trip from Queenstown the next day?

My flights are booked into CC and out of Queenstown and we have 10 full days (outside of flight travel dates) on the South Island.

2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: greymouth car rental and south island itinerary approval

We have hired a car from ace car rentals who have drop off at grey mouth, price pretty reasonable. Can't tell you what the service is like as we don't depart until Saturday.

Okinawa, Japan
Level Contributor
11 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: greymouth car rental and south island itinerary approval

I would recommend driving thru Arthur's Pass to Greymouth. It's a very scenic drive and I don't think it'll make a difference as far as timing is concerned. I drove down the east coast of the south island and then looped back up the west coast. I didn't lose any additional days by doing so. Here's my full itinerary for 9 days on the south island if you're interested …wordpress.com/2013/…

7. Re: greymouth car rental and south island itinerary approval

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2014, 07:16