We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mt Cook Village to Golden Bay - which way would you choose?

Miami Beach, Fl
Level Contributor
729 posts
195 reviews
Save Topic
Mt Cook Village to Golden Bay - which way would you choose?

Three options for getting from Mount Cook Village to Takaka, Golden Bay- which would you choose? Driving or drive-fly-drive? Here's what I see - please, I am open to suggestions!

Option 1: Driving time is 11 hours

Driving more than 4 hours in a day is a push for us (it isn't a vacation anymore) - so this is a 3 day drive.

Where might be the logical places to overnight along the way?

Here is the suggested driving route from AA.

http://maps.aa.co.nz/#directions/Mount+Cook%2C+Mount+Cook%2C+Mount+Cook+Village;2276532;5715042/Takaka%2C+Takaka%2C+Takaka;2493706;6039128

Option 2: drive-fly-drive

Day 1: Drive Mt Cook Village to Christchurch – 4.5 hours – drop off rental car - overnight in Christchurch

Day 2: Spend most of the day in Christchurch & then fly to Nelson – overnight in Nelson

$103 per person – direct Air New Zealand - 50 minute flight

5:35 PM – arrives 6:25 PM or 6:45 Pm – 7:35 PM

Day 3: Drive Nelson to Takaka – 1 hour 40 minutes

Option 3: drive-fly-drive - less time driving, one night less hotel charge along the way

Day 1: Drive Mt Cook Village to Christchurch – 4.5 hours – drop off rental car - overnight in Christchurch

Day 2: Fly to Nelson and drive to Takaka - overnight in destination

$124 per person – direct Air New Zealand - 50 minute flight - 12:05PM - 12:55 PM

Pick up rental car and drive to Takaka - 1 hour 40 minutes

Which of these would you do?

Thanks!

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,363 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mt Cook Village to Golden Bay - which way would you choose?

I love to drive, so;

1 drive to Chch

2 drive Lewis Pass to Nelson

3 drive to Takaka

but if flying then I would

1 drive to Chch, fly to Nelson

2 drive to Takaka

Hope this helps :)

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,372 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mt Cook Village to Golden Bay - which way would you choose?

For option 1, by bursting out of your four hours drive a day a little, you could actually cut across to Greymouth and up to Westport. I did this drive last week, heading for Nelson, and then back down through the Lewis Pass: the drive up the bit of the West Coast I was on was just fabulous. The AA has you do it in about 12 1/2 hours. I stayed in Christchurch and Westport - the latter was a surprise as there were (at least) three really good places to eat.

Miami Beach, Fl
Level Contributor
729 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mt Cook Village to Golden Bay - which way would you choose?

HI Wanaka Lakes,

Yes, that really does help me focus - thank you!

Is it a scenic drive, going through Lewis Pass?

Our itinerary is shaping up and I'm about to post it for comments - I hope you will take a look and let me know if I am missing anything in the flow. I'd appreciate your time and insights.

Thanks for all that you do.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
33,622 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mt Cook Village to Golden Bay - which way would you choose?

I recently drove from Motueka to Chch in 2 days via Punakaiki & Arthurs Pass, which was a fabulous drive, in spite of pouring rain in the Buller Gorge. I detoured out to Cape Foulwind & saw the seals at Tauranga Bay; hiked to Pt Elizabeth & had a relaxing time. Very scenic road.

South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,406 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mt Cook Village to Golden Bay - which way would you choose?

The most scenic route is Arthurs Pass, Greymouth through to Punakaiki. On to Cape Foulwind and then through the Buller Gorge, Motueka and Takaka.

6. Re: Mt Cook Village to Golden Bay - which way would you choose?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2014, 06:19