We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VISA or Mastercard.. Plz HELP!!

Adelaide
Level Contributor
23 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
VISA or Mastercard.. Plz HELP!!

Hey guys, so on Sunday i'm leaving for 12 days on the south island & i dont know whether to get a cash passport travel card (mastercard) or a load & go travel card (visa)

I've heard that its harder to find visa outlets/atms from some people, but then i've heard that it's harder to find mastercard outlets/atms so i am really struggling to decided what to do & i only have 2 more days to organise it =\

I just dont wanna get there & not be able to find places i can use my card & then not be able to do anything coz i cant access my funds =(

PLEASE HELP!!!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: VISA or Mastercard.. Plz HELP!!

Most ATMs in New Zealand take both cards, so I'd choose the card that suits you best. Only very small places would be without ATMs, so just make sure you withdraw a bit of cash too. Retailers tend to take both cards too.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,268 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: VISA or Mastercard.. Plz HELP!!

Agreed - there is so little difference, that I'd look to the costs of the two products and take the cheaper. I take it you don't actually have a credit card - if you do, I'm not sure I'd bother with anything else.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
23 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: VISA or Mastercard.. Plz HELP!!

No i dont have a credit card. I have a VISA debit but the fees to sue it overseas are too high so im getting a travel card =)

So you can use both of them pretty much everywhere?

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,268 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: VISA or Mastercard.. Plz HELP!!

There will be some shops, normally very small ones but including some cafes, which take no credit card of any sort so won't be hooked in to the Visa or Mastercard netowrks but there are not many of these - have some cash floating around. All major retailers and the major bank ATM's will accept either - you might find an odd place where the ATM doesn't like Visa but then the next one won't like Mastercard, but we're talking odd little ATM's that you might find in some pubs - so long as there is a bank ATM in town, you'll be fine.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,939 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: VISA or Mastercard.. Plz HELP!!

>> I have a VISA debit but the fees to sue it overseas are too high so im getting a travel card<<

Any travel card will cost you more than using your Visa debit. Travel cards are a product designed to make more money out of travellers. Those sold in Australia have high fees and/or poor exchange rate.

If you have time, open a Citibank Plus bank account which will provide you with a Visa debit card that has no fees for overseas withdrawals.

In Australia and New Zealand, Visa and Mastercard operate as one organisation: anywhere that takes Visa will take Mastercard.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
23 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: VISA or Mastercard.. Plz HELP!!

Thanks for your replies guys.. I'm gonna take 1500AUD with me & then i'll have money on a card of some sort =)

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,849 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: VISA or Mastercard.. Plz HELP!!

Cards like american express are hard to find outlets to use them.

eitherway, it is better than the days before credit cards and one had to buy travelers cheques in the currency you required before you travelled, then found some organisations would charge an extra fee to cash the cheque. I am unsure if it is now even possible to buy travellers cheques.

have an awesome holiday

Adelaide
Level Contributor
136 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: VISA or Mastercard.. Plz HELP!!

I opened a Citibank account. It has no fees for ATMs or conversion fees. My regular bank charges $5.00 for each ATM use overseas and a conversion fee of a few % which definately adds up over a total trip (two pairs of boots from America cost me about $150 + $7 conversion fee so you can imagine what paying for a whole holiday would cost). Citibank account was easy to set up. I've just been transferring my money into that account and using it to book everything. No hassel.

Also I believe they give the standard rate of exchange so when we get to NZ we are planning on getting some cash out at the ATM rather than getting it exchanged at a money exchanger or the bank which gives you a lower rate. Should save some money too.

Citibank don't have any branches in SA. I just did it over the phone and on line. Hope that helps.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,268 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: VISA or Mastercard.. Plz HELP!!

I hope you've checked out the position regarding other bank ATM's as Citibank has a minimal presence here and I suspect no ATM's of its own. They have made arrangements for other banks ATMs in Australia to be fee free, but not New Zealand. Westpac, on the other hand, does make their ATM's available free of charge here to their Australian customers (although they still take the 2-3% commission).

As for the OP, $1500 cash is a lot to bring for less than two weeks!

Adelaide
Level Contributor
136 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: VISA or Mastercard.. Plz HELP!!

I haven't used the card yet overseas although it was the best option I could find to cut additional fees out.

I just had a look online in the T&C's and it says: Fee free use of your Citibank Visa Debit Card around the globe to make in store purchases or withdraw cash at ATMs.

Although now I might call them and check just to be sure. :-)