We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please review this itinerary and make suggestions? Thanks.

ireland
Level Contributor
349 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Please review this itinerary and make suggestions? Thanks.

We are heading to NZ in January and have worked out a rough itinerary. We plan to rent a car and stay in motels/B and Bs. We love hiking, kayaking, wildlife, and are happy to spend as little time as possible in towns. We have no interest in wineries, museums or shopping.

How would this itinerary work? What have we left out that we really shouldn't miss?

Day 1: Arrive Auckland

Day 2: Drive Coromandel peninsula to Whitianga

Day 3: Whitianga

Day 4: Rotorua

Day 5: Lake Taupo; Stay in Tongariro

Day 6: Wellington

Day 7: Ferry to Picton; Abel Tasman

Day 8: Abel Tasman

Day 9: Abel Tasman

Day 10: Kaikoura

Day 11: Kaikoura

Day 12: Drive Arthur's Pass to Hokikita

Day 13: Fran Joseph or Fox?

Day 14: Franz Joseph or Fox

Day 15: Wanaka

Day 16: Wanaka

Day 17: Te-Anua

Day 18: Te-Anua (Cruise on Doubtful Sound)

Day 19: Te-Anua hiking

Day 20: Te-Anua (Milford cruise and Kayak)

Day 21: Queenstown

Day 22: Mount Cook

Day 23: Mount Cook

Day 24: Mount Cook

Day 25: Christchurch

Day 26: Depart Christchurch lunchtime

We have one extra day. Should we add it in to Abel Tasman or leave in for Te-Anua or Mount Cook region?

I'd love to hear suggestions on this itinerary. Thanks a million in advance.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please review this itinerary and make suggestions? Thanks.

Great hiking in the Glenorchy area too. For instance, hiking the Routeburn to Harris Saddle and back is pretty scenic and not too hard (though somewhat long).

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please review this itinerary and make suggestions? Thanks.

Another Routeburn option would be the hike up the North Branch of the Route Burn once you get to Routeburn Flats. Looked like it would be a great hike too, but I was only in the area for one day and opted for the trip to Harris Saddle instead.

California
Level Contributor
6,917 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please review this itinerary and make suggestions? Thanks.

I was a little surprised you only have one night in Queenstown. If you do the hike that SpursFan has suggested, that would be the place to base yourself. Even if you don't do the Routeburn day hike, I think Queenstown is worth the extra night.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please review this itinerary and make suggestions? Thanks.

I'd have to recommend staying in Glenorchy over Queenstown though for hiking to Harris Saddle and back, since it's a 45-60 minute drive to Glenorchy from Queenstown (and then another 30 from Glenorchy to the start of the hike at Routeburn Shelter) and since it's good to get an early start on a 23 km roundtrip hike. Maybe spend the first night in Glenorchy, get up early and do the Routeburn hike, and then head to Queenstown for a nice apartment/hotel and a big meal the evening (though I loved the food in Glenorchy too!).

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please review this itinerary and make suggestions? Thanks.

For Fox Glacier the full-day tour was awesome. It's a pretty relaxed pace though, so if you're looking for something a little tougher you might consider the ice climbing tour.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please review this itinerary and make suggestions? Thanks.

Arthur's Pass NP has some really beautiful hiking; you'd likely find a full day there pretty rewarding also.

ireland
Level Contributor
349 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please review this itinerary and make suggestions? Thanks.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

8. Re: Please review this itinerary and make suggestions? Thanks.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 April 2014, 06:17