We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiring Apex car and Accomodation South Island

sydney
Level Contributor
176 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hiring Apex car and Accomodation South Island

Arriving in Christchurch mid Feb in the afternoon . Would it be best to hire a car from the airport or just take a bus into the town stay overnight and collect car the next day. Plan to drive from Christchurch and do the loop in 2 weeks.I guess it would make things a lot easier just collecting and dropping car back at Airport. Also is there any good books on accomodation or should I just do more research on the forum for accomodation.

WanakaLakes you have suggested some good 2 week itinerarys so think I might follow them . We hope to get some day hikes in ( loops ) maybe do some kayaking and also the doubtful sound overnight cruise . There is so much to see dont know where to start , Can see we will have to do another trip later.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,069 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiring Apex car and Accomodation South Island

The predicating factor on when to pick up the car is really determined by when are going to return it. One hires a car on a daily basis or part daily basis and generally pays on a daily basis. What I mean by that is that if you hire a car at 4.00pm and return it at noon the following day you still pay a full days hire. If you return it at 5.00pm you can expect to pay two days hire. Depending when you are returning the car there may be no benefit in picking it up the following day but lots of benefit especially increased independence in having it early. Depending upon what accommodation you are seeking WOTIF on line may help, the AA and Jasons websites may also help. If you want to delay making any bookings until after you arrive Jasons have free accommodation books at most accommodation providers and you may also find free copies at the arrival hall of the airport. If you are an automobile association member in Australia you have reciprocal rights with the NZ AA. The NZAA website ha deals of reciprocal rights hence accommodation books and road maps maybe provided free from them..

Oz
Level Contributor
11,911 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiring Apex car and Accomodation South Island

Hi,

The Apex depot isn't at the airport so you need to factor in a bit more time to pick up and drop of the vehicle. Arriving in the afternoon I would suggest that you hire the car and stay the night in Christchurch before you head off well rested the next day. I found the earthquake damage very confronting but others say a visit to the CBD is worth it. It is certainly worth a visit to the museum.

I would suggest the Sudima right at the airport but what ever you choose book early as accommodation in Christchurch post earthquake is at a premium!!!

WL has some fantastic itineraries so you wont go wrong following her advice. Please don't miss Mt Cook, the Glaciers, Fiordland, Queenstown, Wanaka, Glenorchy, Skippers Canyon and the Shotover Jet.

Cheers,

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiring Apex car and Accomodation South Island

Feb is a lovely time to travel, with hopefully long days of settled weather. This last Feb was simply brilliant.

As mentioned, www.wotif.com has good accommodation listings, plus http://www.newzealand.com/int/accommodation/

Feb is a busy month so I would pre-book all accommodation.

Happy travels :)

Sunshine Coast, Qld
Level Contributor
367 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiring Apex car and Accomodation South Island

I would recommend picking your car up straight from the airport. We used Apex last week and I can highly recommend them. The whole thing was seamless. As soon as we arrived at the airport there was an Apex shuttle waiting. Within minutes we were at their base and they processed everything very quickly. We were on the road probably within half an hour of landing. It would be so much easier than making your own way out there the next day. As soon as you wake up, you can start your travels instead. As someone suggested, the cost will probably be the same whether you pick the car up in the afternoon or the next morning, because its within the same 24 hours. We hired a Yaris and found it very comfortable, economic and reliable.

5. Re: Hiring Apex car and Accomodation South Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 April 2014, 06:17