We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Te anau or queenstown?

London
Level Contributor
374 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Te anau or queenstown?

As part of pur trip my husband and I are considering one of the two following options. I'd be really grateful for any thoughts as which is better, or if it's not much difference:

Day 1: drive dunedin to queenstown, stopping at a winery en route

Day 2: day hike

Day3: milford sound day trip, cpach from queenstown (flight too expensive)

Day4: other in queenstown

Day5: on to wanaka

And then up west coast

Or

Day1: drive dunedin to te anau

Day2: day hike

Day3: doubtful sound day trip

Day4: drive to queenstown and most of day in queenstown

Day5: on to wanaka

Then up west coast.

This is all in feb next year. I guess the main advantage of the 2nd option is being able to go to doubtful sound rather than milford (it seems like doubtful is too far for a comfortable day trip from queenstown). Any thoughts gratefully recieved! Many thanks.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,364 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Te anau or queenstown?

Hi Debbie, just to confuse you further -

a day trip to Doubtful from Queenstown is a 13 hour bus tour

a day trip to Milford from Queenstown is a 13 hour bus tour

and if doing a day trip, I prefer Milford over Doubtful - the drive from Te Anau is gorgeous.

Oz
Level Contributor
12,491 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Te anau or queenstown?

Hi,

IMHO Doubtful Sound is "best" done as an overnight cruise as it is the largest of the sounds in Fiordland.

Given the option this is what I would do between Dunedin and Queenstown

https:/…

Too many choices;-)

Cheers,

California
Level Contributor
7,655 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Te anau or queenstown?

Your best option:

Day 1 - Drive Dunedin to Te Anau

Day 2 - Milford Sound, stay Te Anau

Day 3 - Drive to Queenstown

Day 4 - Explore

Day 5 - Drive to Wanaka

London
Level Contributor
374 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Te anau or queenstown?

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

Wanaka Lakes - how funny that I thought it was a longer trip to Doubtful - maybe because a number of people say it is best done as an overnight.

I would quite like to do an overnight trip, but my husband's not crazy about the idea of sleeping on a boat, plus it takes a day away from other places. What should I say to persuade him?!

Ozrcflyer - would love to do Dusky Sound! Time and budget do not permit, sadly.

Dec2259. I see that that makes sense, but the other complicating factor which I didn't mention is that my parents are joining us for a couple of days (they're doing an Australia & NZ trip and plan to overlap with our NZ trip for a couple of days) and one thing I thought would be good to do with them is the boat trip (as most of our days will be more active than that, which wouldn't suit them), but they don't land in Queenstown from Sydney until Day 2 of my schedule as set out above. That's sort of another reason to do my Option 1, as otherwise my parents have to get from Queenstown airport to Te Anau, and they have decided they don't want to hire a car.

Incidentally, what would the best way to get from Queenstown airport to te anau without a car? What would a cab cost?

Thanks again for all the help.

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
1,795 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Te anau or queenstown?

I would drive from Dunedin to Te Anau then make your choice of sound. Doubtful sound would be mine.

Then drive through to Queenstown. That way you don't do the same road twice,

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,364 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Te anau or queenstown?

You have answered your own question - you need to be in Queenstown day 2 to collect your parents.

.... or, your parents could;

1 arrive Queenstown, taxi to accommodation

2 bus early morning to Te Anau, you collect them then explore Milford together by car

or...

1 arrive Queenstown, taxi to accommodation

2 bus/cruise Doubtful Sound - you join the same cruise in Manapouri and afterwards you travel back to Queenstown together

7. Re: Te anau or queenstown?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2014, 06:19