We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sports & adventure stores in South Island

Singapore
Level Contributor
596 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
sports & adventure stores in South Island

where can I find sports/adventure stores on the South Island which carry a good variety of sporting/adventure equipment? Preferably in Queenstown or Christchurch.

I am looking for base layers, fleece jackets, water proof jackets, running attire, cycling attire/equipment and rock climbing shoes/gear.

In Singapore, we have The North Face and Columbia but I am keen on purchasing products made in NZ from materials in NZ (like merino wool), or manufactured by NZ companies, which the locals in NZ use. Recommendations on brands would be welcome too!

Thanks!

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,747 posts
439 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sports & adventure stores in South Island

Lots of good sporting companies such as kathmandu, mountain designs, macpac, r and r sport. However, like most stuff its not necessarily made in NZ. Even good ole icebreaker is now grown in NZ but made overseas. I really recommend icebreaker, but it hasnt been the same since it was made overseas. Although icebreaker is still a NZ original. You will find adventure and sporting shops all Ove Queenstown. Have fun!

Singapore
Level Contributor
596 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sports & adventure stores in South Island

Thanks, poppynz!

Is there a chain store (like WOrld of Sports) which carries all these brands? THanks!

Kalispell, Montana
Level Contributor
166 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sports & adventure stores in South Island

I don't know how your prices for North Face/Columbia, etc. are in Singapore, but in Queenstown they were about 3 times more expensive than I have seen in the states. Also, the icebreaker brand is VERY expensive. I saw a ton of outdoor sporting type stores in Queenstown, you won't have a problem finding one. I was glad to already have this stuff before arriving, or I would have spent a fortune. I also noticed a lot of the merino wool they are selling in NZ in made from possums. I might get some slack for this because I know it is a major industry in NZ, but I couldn't bring myself to buying/wearing possum, kind of grossed me out after seeing them dead on the roads every 1/4 mile, but that is just me! Hope I didn't stir any pots here!

Singapore
Level Contributor
596 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sports & adventure stores in South Island

MTMama2, TNF in Singapore is about double the price in the US, and we dont have much variety.

perhaps buying online might be the way to go then? I have purchased TNF and Icebreaker stuff from US online stores before, but thought that NZ brands might be cheaper in their home town.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,442 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sports & adventure stores in South Island

... a lot of the merino wool they are selling in NZ in made from possums....

Just to clarify MT - merino is wool from the merino sheep, it is often blended with possum fur to make an even softer, warmer product. Wool is never made from possum fur. If there is a blend of wool and fur it will be clearly labelled so.

Possums in NZ are not native, they are an introduced species and they are a huge ecological disaster. They are destroying entire sections of native bush and they eat our native birds. As far as I am concerned, anything which can be made from possum skin, fur, meat is a good thing. I am wearing merino-possum socks as I type this, they are fabulous :)

…govt.nz/PageFiles/…20Possums.pdf

Edited: 10 May 2013, 05:02
Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
329 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sports & adventure stores in South Island

Tower Junction in Christchurch has Kathmandu, R&R Sport, Hunting and Fishing, and Bivouac. Mountain Designs and Macpac are just across Blenheim Rd from the rest. Not many of these products are made in NZ any more.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,747 posts
439 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sports & adventure stores in South Island

Possum fur and merino wool blend is the very very best you can get. Try the socks, gloves, scarfs, hats and you will never use another! MTMama2 Some of your info is NOT correct. Merino is a type of sheep and it is using their wool. Possum fur is made from the fur of a big pest in NZ, it kills our native birds eggs, destroys forests and spreads disease. In NZ the only good possum is one you wear. In fact, as envio friendly family we monitor a couple of pest trapping lines in local native bush and target possums, rats, stoats.

Icebreaker is expensive, but I wear it everyday. However, never pay full price, I always buy it on special. Lots of other good outdoor shops and gear. like WLnz I am wearing my possum fur/merino blend socks as I type. Have my icebreaker tee on and kathmandu trousers. My daily clothing!

Chain stores would be along the lines of kathmandu, R and R sport, mountain designs. All great outdoor places.

Edited: 10 May 2013, 08:11
Kalispell, Montana
Level Contributor
166 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sports & adventure stores in South Island

Yes, who was the genius that introduced the possum? I agree, as I saw in a store in NZ " save a tree, buy a possum product." Maybe we could send over some of our coyotes or fox to help control these pests! I could not believe how many were dead on the roads, unbelievable, they are everywhere!

Banoffi: I don't know if they will ship to your location, but check out 6pm.com and Sierra Trading Post for some amazing discounted sporting goods (clothes, backpacks, etc.) This is where I buy most of my stuff.

No, I don't claim to be an expert on the possum/wool blend products. In fact, I looked at many tags on the clothing to try and figure out how/what it was made of, and most of the products didn't really indicate. I was just saying that I personally was not interested in wearing the possum products, and they were unbelievably expensive. I'm sure they are very warm, comfortable, and they definitely serve a dual purpose. Don't let my opinion sway you from purchasing some!

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,442 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: sports & adventure stores in South Island

Yes, who was the genius that introduced the possum?... Europeans introduced them in the 1890's

Maybe we could send over some of our coyotes or fox to help control these pests! ... and so speaks another inspired genius!

Singapore
Level Contributor
596 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: sports & adventure stores in South Island

Wow! That's a lot of interesting info - both on sports shops and possums. Haha.

If going in dec, would it be ok to dress mostly in shorts/ tshirts for sightseeing while taking a fleece jacket along? Will probably pack a Pair of jeans or trackpants too in case it gets cool.

Maybe a windbreaker too?