HI. Me and my husband plan a vacation in South Island from 14th July to 20th July this year. Following is our tentative program:
July 14 - Reach Queenstown
15 - Day trip to Milford Sound
17 - Queenstown to Franz Josef Glacier
18 Franz Josef to Christchurch by Trans Alpine express via Greymouth
19th - Christchurch - Kaikoura- Christchurch
20th - Flight from Christchurch
I have the following questions:
1. Is this itineray good and doable? Please let me know if any alternate plan is better. I would love to include Mt. Cook in this but not able to. is there any way to do it?
2. Is self drive advisable during this time as it is winter? we are not used to driving in snow conditions.
3. What is the cheapest option to cover all these places by coach? Which coach company offers good prices and are there any passes available?
4. I see that the train to CH CH is expensive. is the journey worth the price or can we take a coach?
5. What options are available for stay in Franz Glacier and how long do we have to spend to visit the glacier? we are not keen on long treks or adventures.
Request responses from all of you to make our trip a great one and thanks for your advise in advance!!