We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to south Island in the second week of July

Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
50 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Travel to south Island in the second week of July

HI. Me and my husband plan a vacation in South Island from 14th July to 20th July this year. Following is our tentative program:

July 14 - Reach Queenstown

15 - Day trip to Milford Sound

16- Queenstown

17 - Queenstown to Franz Josef Glacier

18 Franz Josef to Christchurch by Trans Alpine express via Greymouth

19th - Christchurch - Kaikoura- Christchurch

20th - Flight from Christchurch

I have the following questions:

1. Is this itineray good and doable? Please let me know if any alternate plan is better. I would love to include Mt. Cook in this but not able to. is there any way to do it?

2. Is self drive advisable during this time as it is winter? we are not used to driving in snow conditions.

3. What is the cheapest option to cover all these places by coach? Which coach company offers good prices and are there any passes available?

4. I see that the train to CH CH is expensive. is the journey worth the price or can we take a coach?

5. What options are available for stay in Franz Glacier and how long do we have to spend to visit the glacier? we are not keen on long treks or adventures.

Request responses from all of you to make our trip a great one and thanks for your advise in advance!!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
33,610 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to south Island in the second week of July

Welcome to the Forum. This itinerary is crazy for such a short visit as all you will see is the road through the bus window apart from your one free day in QTN. If you dropped Kaikoura, you would have an extra day for the glaciers but as it stands you will arrive in FJG one afternoon around sunset and leave at day break the next day, without even setting eyes on the glaciers!! Without a car you have to hike to see them.

You might find it easier to travel from QTN to MT Cook on the 17th (arriving midday) and Mt Cook to Chch in the afternoon of the 18th, giving you nearly 24 hr to take a skiplane flight or a gentle walk to the Mueller Glacier.

Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
50 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to south Island in the second week of July

Thanks for the reply. Do you suggest that we stay in Franz Josef for two nights or do Mt Cook instead of FJ? Which one is easier to include in the itinerary? I dont mind dropping Kaikoura. And could you also tell me if self drive will be possible during this season? If we take the car the we can be more flexible with timings.

Edited: 13 May 2013, 03:41
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,363 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel to south Island in the second week of July

option 1

14 arrive Queenstown

15 explore

16 bus/cruise/bus Milford Sound

17 drive to Wanaka

18 drive to Franz Josef

19 drive to Greymouth, TranzAlpine to Chch

20 fly home

or do the easier driving and stunning scenery of ...

14 arrive Queenstown

15 explore

16 bus/cruise Milford Sound, bus back to Q'town

17 drive to Wanaka

18 drive to Aoraki/Mt Cook

19 drive to Chch

20 fly home

Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
50 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel to south Island in the second week of July

HI WLNz, Thanks a lot for your prompt replies. Your second option seems to be quite good. I would like to work out my travel on these lines.

Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
50 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel to south Island in the second week of July

HI WLNz, Thanks a lot for your prompt replies. Your second option seems to be quite good. I would like to work out my travel on these lines.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,363 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel to south Island in the second week of July

Aoraki has stunning scenery (if the weather allows) and some great walks for every ability.

Plus I adore the drive Wanaka to Aoraki - enjoy :)

Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
50 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel to south Island in the second week of July

HI.. I'm not able to get clarity on where to stay in Mt Cook? I am not able to make out what is the best location to stay for hikes and walks to Mt Cook. My search on internet is very confusing. Some suggest Twizel as base location, some Aoraki and some mt cook park. Please suggest what is the best choice -whichever is closest and easier to find accommodation. And also can you suggest some decent budget hotels

California
Level Contributor
7,660 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel to south Island in the second week of July

The village at Mt Cook is called Aoraki/Mt Cook. Twizel is 40 minutes away. All the hikes originate from Aoraki/Mt Cook, which is a very small village with limited (and comparably pricey) accommodation. From roughly most expensive to least: The Hermitage Hotel, it's motel units, and chalets. Aoraki Mt Cook Alpine Lodge, Aoraki Court Motel, Glentanner Park (a bit down the road), Mt Cook Backpackers, YHA, and for camping White Horse Hill campground.

Here's a link: www.mtcooknz.com/mackenzie/searchresults/…

From there you can connect to almost all the websites directly.

Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
50 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel to south Island in the second week of July

thanks for the reply. I will look for accommodation in Aoraki/ Mt.Cook

Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
50 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel to south Island in the second week of July

HI. We have finalized the below program based on your suggestions and decided to do the entire trip by Intercity coaches. However we are unable to decide what best to do with the one extra day in the itinerary. Request your suggestions for the same. Can we somehow fit in Fox glacier into this itinerary?

July 12- late night - Reach Christchurch from Auckland - stay at CHCH

July 13- coach to Aoraki/Mt Cook- stay here

July 14- Coach to Wanaka - stay here

July 15 - Coach to QT - stay here

July 16- Milford sound - coach/cruise/coach stay at QT

July 17- explore QT

July 18 - ????

July 19- Fly back home from QT -