We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days in Queenstown

london
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Topic
3 days in Queenstown

Hi, I am going to be in Queenstown for 3 days after tomorrow. I have booked a helicopter trip to see Milford sound and a glacier on one of the days. On one of the days I will go to Glenorchy and the other, to Wanaka.

Really worried about the weather for the Milford sound trip...Anyway, what will be, will be.

I am interested in scenery/photography and for the other 2 days, are there any short hikes with great views that one could take somewhere around Glenorchy or Wanaka or do the drives pretty much cover much of the views? I probably wont have time to hike for more than couple of hours each day if I am also driving. Thanks! mf

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days in Queenstown

For Glenorchy, visit the Queenstown DOC office for trail information, accurate weather and track conditions and maps …govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/…

Wanaka has a wide range of excellent walks - visit the Wanaka DOC office …govt.nz/footer-links/…

enjoy :)

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,995 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days in Queenstown

If the weather is nice and you are fit, then the hike up Mt Roy (10 minutes from wanaka) gives stunning views and awesome photos. For a shorter and less strenuous walk, then the lookout at Diamond Lake is also nice (or you can walk further up to Rocky Mountain on the same track). Enjoy your Milford Flight.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 days in Queenstown

Mt Roy is a full day outing, taking about 6 hours - plus due to elevation it will be quite cold, possibly icy, up on top. On a mountain rescue show set in Wanaka recently a young woman camped up the top and got hypothermia - in Dec!

for an easy 20 minute walk to the top with stunning views go up Mt Iron. The views are amazing.

uppercluthatrackstrust.org.nz/walking-tracks…

For something different, and a great photo op, head over to Mou Waho Island …wordpress.com/2009/06/14/mou-waho-island/

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 days in Queenstown

Glenorchy has some fabulous tracks and spectacular views.

For the most bang for your buck and some incredible photo ops, I suggest these and in this order:

1) For a spectacular short walk follow Paradise Road, turn off at Paradise Homestead, and ask the caretaker where the track begins - you won't be disappointed.

Continue driving on Paradise Road (more fords) until the road ends at Muddy Creek - the Dart River Track starts here - the walk up and over Chinaman’s Bluff is gorgeous.

2) You can also get great photos on a clear day right from the Glenorchy Walkway

3) Lovely views from the top of Mt Judah too (Whakaari Conservation area, three kilometers outside of Glenorchy along the Queenstown-Glenorchy Road) - it's uphill, with a 2,300 foot elevation gain.

4) The Mt Crichton Loop, located right off the Queentown-Glenorchy Road - fab views of Lake Wakatipu

Edited: 17 May 2013, 05:47
london
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 days in Queenstown

Tomorrow is my last day in Arrowtown/Queenstown. I especially liked Arrowtown. There's an amazing restaurant called Saffron where I have been twice already!

First day, I did go to Wanaka/Mount Iron. But weather wasn't so good and also felt there were too many people for a hike (well it was Saturday after all...). Then drove through some wineries. Was trying to find Sam Neill's winery (Two Paddocks) somewhere around Alexandra and got lost..

Today the helicopter trip to Milford did go and it was incredible; I did the extended Milford flight with a beach landing (on the rocks, rather) and a glacier landing. With hindsight, maybe it was ok not to have done the milford cruise as you get an amazing perspective from above plus the most spectacular bit is the beginning and the end (plus waterfalls look great from above!)

However again, the weather was a bit overcast so can imagine how much more magical this place would have been on a clear day...

Still, I felt numb and exhilarated for a few hours after the flight!

Tomorrow I will go to Glenorchy, do the dart river safari.

Now the question: paradise road seems REALLY long. Where exactly is the turnoff to Homestead for the hike? Is it well sign posted? It's my last day, I don't want to get lost again (I seem to be good at it).

ps: can i attach photos to posts or is it only for reviews?

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 days in Queenstown

Sounds like you had a wonderful day myfriday.

It only takes a few minutes to get to the homestead once you get to Glenorchy (which is about 45 minutes from QT, longer from Arrowtown) and locate Paradise Road. The road continues on for some distance beyond the homestead, but you need not go that far.

I suggest you ask the Dart River Safari folks for details (wonderful choice by the way). Failing that, you could call the Homestead and ask for more specific directions. Number on the link below.

Enjoy - hope the weather gods are kind to you!

http://www.paradisetrust.co.nz/homestead/

Look for this sign:

http://www.paradisetrust.co.nz/gallery/

Edited: 19 May 2013, 11:58
london
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 days in Queenstown

Had a great time on the jet safari (unlike a few others; who became sea sick, poor things).

The weather was much better and as it took 3 hours I didn't have time to do any major hikes. I also spent ages taking photos along the road Quuenstown - Glenorchy and back (in different light) which is breath taking (almost crashed the car..).

Now spending a few days in Auckland and going to Hamilton (work related). Is there anything interesting on the road between Auckland & Hamilton? (And any scenic places around Auckland you'd recommend?) Not much time to venture out far anymore :(

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 days in Queenstown

Thanks for reporting back - makes me yearn for Glenorchy! Enjoy the rest of your holiday.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
30,918 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 days in Queenstown

Nothing that I can think of between AKL & Hamilton, which is pretty much motorway all the way, but if you have an hour to spare Hamilton Gardens are stunning and even worth visiting in winter as so much of the impact is structural/design, esp the Italian Renaissance garden, Chinese & Japanese.

10. Re: 3 days in Queenstown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2014, 07:19