We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need clarification for Queens to Aoraki/Mt Cook to Christchu

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
282 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Need clarification for Queens to Aoraki/Mt Cook to Christchu

Hi, I understand here that according to the Intercity Bus website, it said

GS9662 TOUR Queenstown - Mount Cook - Christchurch

Departs 7:45 am Queenstown - Athol St in the middle of the car park

Arrives 1:47 pm Aoraki Alpine Lodge (Mt Cook) - Aoraki/Mt Cook Alpine Lodge National Park

Duration 06:02 (HH:MM)

Notes No hotel pickups or drop offs available when Non Refundable tickets are purchased

GS9662 TOUR Queenstown - Mount Cook - Christchurch

Departs 1:48 pm Aoraki Alpine Lodge (Mt Cook) - Aoraki/Mt Cook Alpine Lodge National Park

Arrives 6:55 pm Christchurch Main Stop - 118 Bealey Ave (between Colombo St and Durham St intersections)

Duration 05:07 (HH:MM)

Notes No hotel pickups or drop offs available when Non Refundable tickets are purchased

my itinerary time for mt cook visit as follows:

14th June - Day Trip to Aoraki/Mt Coach from Queenstown

15th June - Bus to Christchurch

16th June - Fly from Christchurch to Auckland @ Departs - 8:55am, Arrive - 10:15am (Booked and Paid)

17th June - Fly back to Singapore @ 12:40pm

Q: does that means that i am able to take the same bus at 1:48pm to christchurch on june 15th without any extra fees or i have to arrive christchurch on june 14th which i am not able to overnight in mt cook?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
282 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need clarification for Queens to Aoraki/Mt Cook to Christchu

The trip is about NZD$124, and if i want to OVERNIGHT in Mt Cook on the 14th June, does that mean i have to pay another NZD$124 to take the bus at 1:48pm from Mt Cook to Christchurch on 15th June?

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,027 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need clarification for Queens to Aoraki/Mt Cook to Christchu

why don't you email bus company direct? they are the best to ask about fare structures.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
282 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need clarification for Queens to Aoraki/Mt Cook to Christchu

It would take sometime for them to reply my mail because i have to prebook accomodation and flight. anyway, this is my question, i have a few options.

my condition is that i have to arrive christchurch on 15th june bcoz my flight is next day 16th june to auckland.

1. skip aoraki/mt cook and took naked bus frm queenstown to christchurch for nzd20

2. took great sight tour from queenstown to christchurch via mt cook for nzd228 (skip overnight stay at mt cook)

3. took intercity from queenstown to christchurch via mt cook for nzd124 (skip overnight stay at mt cook)

4. took greatsight tour and do 1 way trip from queenstown to mt cook for nzd130, overnight and took mt cook to christchurch at nzd68 the next day

thing is, is it worth the extra penny to overnight in mt cook or should i just take the greatsight tour and overnight in queenstown instead?

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,027 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need clarification for Queens to Aoraki/Mt Cook to Christchu

They will probably answer in a day. If you email now, I am sure you will have an answer in less than24 hours. Remember it is night time here in NZ so you will get an answer tomorrow. Do you just want to see Mt Cook or have a little time there? If you arrive one day and leave the next, you are giving yourself a wider window for good weather and views of the mountains. I imagine Option 3 will only allow you to say you have been to Mt Cook as I imagine the bus arrives, drops passengers, picks up more and departs.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,682 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need clarification for Queens to Aoraki/Mt Cook to Christchu

In my opinion, Mt Cook is a highlight of a trip to NZ and well worth the overnight stay. I suspect you are reading the fare schedule for Great Sights wrong. The term "day trip" implies going there and back again so I think the pricing for a day trip of $124 means there and back. If you can afford it, I would really aim for Qtn to Mt Cook on the 14 th and Mt Cook to Chch on the 15th.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
282 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need clarification for Queens to Aoraki/Mt Cook to Christchu

i will check with the bus. i think i mght skip milford sound and do the mt cook trip instead.

malaysia
Level Contributor
41 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need clarification for Queens to Aoraki/Mt Cook to Christchu

Dear sLapShock,

You may want to check on the Great Sights website www.greatsights.co.nz again:

You can book the following:

1) 14th - journey from Queenstown to Mt Cook code : GS82, NZD130

Time : 7:35am to 12:30pm (arrival at Aoraki).

a) Go for Skiplane, Stargazing,

b) Stay in Mt. Cook

2) 15th - journey from Mt Cook to Christchurch code: GS72, NZD135

Time : 1:45pm to 7pm (arrival at Christchurch).

Enjoy!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
282 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need clarification for Queens to Aoraki/Mt Cook to Christchu

i will check with the bus. i think i mght skip milford sound and do the mt cook trip instead.

thank you michicoe. :)

9. Re: Need clarification for Queens to Aoraki/Mt Cook to Christchu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2014, 07:18