We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roads in/out of Queenstown/Wanaka area today

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,994 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Roads in/out of Queenstown/Wanaka area today

Hi everyone

We woke to snow this morning, and it's still falling. Yay! No school, no work! I believe there is less snow in town than where we live. For those traveller in and out of this area today, the following roads are currently closed:

Road over the Lindis Pass (Wanaka/Queenstown to Christchurch/Mt Cook/Tekapo)

Road over Haast Pass( Wanaka/QT to West Coast)

Road past Queenstown to Te Anau & Invercargill (Kingston to Lumsden)

Road over Crown Range (Wanaka to QT) needs chains but road via Cromwell ok.

If you're in the area, sit tight and enjoy the snow!

Auckland
Level Contributor
493 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Roads in/out of Queenstown/Wanaka area today

I can't wait till we fly down next week! Hopefully the roads will be clear for our drive through to Clyde.

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,994 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Roads in/out of Queenstown/Wanaka area today

Sure they will be; we don't usually have this fun for long! My kids are out making a snow man while I try to get the fire cranking. LOVE a snow day!

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Roads in/out of Queenstown/Wanaka area today

I'm sure the Wanaka scenery must be stunning.

Brilliant blue skies here in sunny Nelson - am off to the beach shortly :)

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,994 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Roads in/out of Queenstown/Wanaka area today

From what I've heard, there is not so much snow in Wanaka itself. Lake Hawea and Hawea Flat have 10+ cm. I'm sure there are many people reading this laughing at the fact we are excited about such a small amount of snow and that our schools are closed! We just don't have this all that often in town, so it tends to bring things to a standstill for a bit. The schools are closed more because so many students come by bus from outlying areas, as do many teachers. There will be a lot of happy kids around here this morning. It's a year or two such we've had a good snow day.

Enjoy the beach WL! I will enjoy watching thick snow falling past my window.

5. Re: Roads in/out of Queenstown/Wanaka area today

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2014, 06:18