We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JBR - Magical Motorhome Mystery Tour - 23 June - 4 July 2013

Tannum Sands...
Level Contributor
140 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
JBR - Magical Motorhome Mystery Tour - 23 June - 4 July 2013

WOW! What a fabulous adventure.

After reading through the forums and asking questions, I have to say, I'm glad we didn't listen to the "doom sayers".

2 best friends, 3 young adult "kids" each, 2 motorhomes and 11 days touring around the beautiful South Island of NZ. Can't wait to do it again.

We left BNE Sunday evening with Virgin Australia (pretty disappointed with cabin crew attitudes and general presentation of flight, but we got there without drama, so all good). Arrived CHC 12.30am. Transition through airport and immigration an absolute breeze, even for my friend who didn't have Australian passport. Hotel shuttle picked us up and we were on our way for some sleep.

8am Monday arrived at Apollo motorhome depot to collect our vans. We'd each booked Euro Deluxe 6 berth motorhomes. Collection process was smooth, and within a couple of hours were on our way.

Our first overnight stop was planned for Lake Tekapo. What a beautiful place! Unfortunately we weren't able to stay there as the van sites were 2m under snow. Didn't get a chance to look around as we wanted to find camp before too dark. We ended up in Twizel. Beautiful lake, the most freezing place on earth.

Late morning Tuesday we headed down to Queenstown. Called ahead to Frankton Motorcamp. Great location, right on the lake. 6km from Queenstown itself. We had 3 nights here. We all went to The Remarkables on Wednesday (drove the vans up, in hindsight, probably not the best idea - lol) and the kids had a wonderful time skiing and snowboarding (a couple were first timers). Thursday the kids got the shuttle to Remarkables again and H and I took a drive to Glenorchy. Not much there apart from a small pub, café and possum fur shop, but lovely drive.

Friday lunch time we made our way to Wanaka ... again, the scenery is absolutely breathtaking! 2 nights at Aspiring motor camp - the best van park we'd ever seen! Bathroom floors were heated, spa baths for use and great communal area with massive kitchen and wood fire. Some of the kids (14, 17, 21, 23) went to Puzzling World for the afternoon. They really enjoyed it.

Sunday was a massive drive day. We drove up the West Coast to Greymouth. We had originally planned to do Franz Josef Glacier, but H had a bad foot and the walk to Terminal Face from carpark was impossible. Spent over night in Greymouth, didn't do any sightseeing though. Looks like a nice town, next time might visit the Brewery.

Monday lunchtime went over Lewis Pass to Hanmer Springs - what a gorgeous town! H and I had full body massages at The Spa while the kids soaked in the hot pools, then after massage we went next door for some soaking - BLISS! We stayed at the Caravan park near the Golf Course - very, very ordinary. Was one of the more expensive parks we stayed at. It had no communal room which is no fun when you've got a group of 8 who want to hang out together. Had to pay additional for showers. Laundry was the dearest we'd seen. Most of the crew made a snow man which was nice.

Tuesday lunchtime we left Hanmer Springs bound for Christchurch. Got the bearings a bit wrong when choosing a park (as we were opposite side of town to airport and motorhome drop off), but park was great - All Seasons at Linwood. 2 nights there, the first in our vans on powered sites, and the second night in Tourist Cabins (as we took the vans back in the afternoon, ready for pre-dawn flight home next day). Great value for money. Good set up. Very friendly staff and permanents. Flight home was with Air New Zealand (codeshare for Virgin). My first time flying with them and was extremely impressed.

Would I motorhome again? Yes definitely. Would I do it again in Winter? Sure, we stayed in parks with powered sites, so heating was no issue. In Summer would be great to do some freedom camping also.

A lot of negative nellies warned of the cost of van, fuel and parks far outweighing hotels. No way! One van with premium insurance package, fuel, park accommodation and motel (arrival night) for 11 nights totalled $ 2,000 AUD. There is no way we could have seen everything that we did (particularly with no packing and unpacking) with 4 people to a room for that whole time in a motel (or even budget accommodation) for even close to that.

For those who said we'd die of frost bite in the motorhome - yes, some nights were cold, but we had quilts on our beds a heater and none of us (all from QLD) had a problem.

Some commented that fellow road users would be upset by being stuck behind the motorhomes. I can think of only 2 occasions in the whole trip where I did below the speed limit and was unable to pull over to let cars pass (each occasion the cars may have been held up 10 mins).

To wrap it up, 2 solo travelling Mums with their kids had an awesome holiday in a truly beautiful country. As I said earlier, can't wait to do it again

California
Level Contributor
7,862 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JBR - Magical Motorhome Mystery Tour - 23 June - 4 July 2013

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip. It sounds like you all had a great time. I personally wouldn't want to campervan in the winter because of the short daylight hours. It sounds like you spent the evenings in the communal areas of the campgrounds, which suited you.

I take it you stayed at The Pines Holiday Park in Hanmer Springs. We stayed at the Top 10 there and thought it was lovely. I didn't take a peek at the communal kitchen, but the shower block was very clean and well maintained.

Thanks for taking your time and writing a trip report!

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
939 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JBR - Magical Motorhome Mystery Tour - 23 June - 4 July 2013

Hi brodica, sounds like you had a pretty good time. Its good to get feedback from people who have recently toured the South Island in a motorhome in winter. Thanks for the report

Oz
Level Contributor
12,612 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JBR - Magical Motorhome Mystery Tour - 23 June - 4 July 2013

Hi,

Some readers probably wonder why I don’t like most rental motor homes and the attitude of many who rent them?

>>We all went to The Remarkables on Wednesday (drove the vans up, in hindsight, probably not the best idea - lol)<<

>>I can think of only 2 occasions in the whole trip where I did below the speed limit and was unable to pull over to let cars pass (each occasion the cars may have been held up 10 mins).<<

These quotes from brodica say it all!

QED

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
939 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JBR - Magical Motorhome Mystery Tour - 23 June - 4 July 2013

Hi Oz, I must say in all fairness that holding up traffic for 10 mins does seem like an excruciatingly long time! NZ is not unlike Tas in regard to not having many places to pull over, but unlike Tasmania, in NZ no longer have you let cars go by then there are more behind you. If you were to pull over every time someone is following then you would never reach top gear. I understand your frustration. We just all need to be aware of the other driver and have a respect for their rights

Oz
Level Contributor
12,612 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JBR - Magical Motorhome Mystery Tour - 23 June - 4 July 2013

Hi Glenn W<

If only they all thought and acted like you.

Cheers,

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
131 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: JBR - Magical Motorhome Mystery Tour - 23 June - 4 July 2013

Getting held up for 10 mins occasionally behind campervans/ trucks etc is just a fact of life in NZ. If you are going to get in a tizzy everytime it happens you should stay off the road or take a chill pill and realise it's not all about you. Some places it is not safe to travel at the speed limit and it is not always possible to pull over.

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
939 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: JBR - Magical Motorhome Mystery Tour - 23 June - 4 July 2013

Hi Ann, you're right in suggesting driving on roads in NZ is not just about you. Sometimes on some roads 10 mins being stuck behind a slow moving vehicle is not unrealistic, the bad feeling arises when it is possible to pull over and the slow driver doesn't. I think if we can educate the foreign drivers (of motorhomes)on the etiquette of driving on NZ roads then that is going to be a good result

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,392 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: JBR - Magical Motorhome Mystery Tour - 23 June - 4 July 2013

Or worse... the road evens out so you hope to pass but the slow vehicle speeds up, not letting you. That causes the most ill will from me.

For heaven's sake, if there is traffic behind you, let it go past. Less stress for all.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,415 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: JBR - Magical Motorhome Mystery Tour - 23 June - 4 July 2013

Same for me WL - but it tends not to be campervan people who do that but the typical Kiwi driver - and it is most egregious when they do it on a passing lane, then slow down to 88.7 km/hr at the end.

10. Re: JBR - Magical Motorhome Mystery Tour - 23 June - 4 July 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2014, 05:18