We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anybody driven through Lake Mahinerangi?

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
Save Topic
Anybody driven through Lake Mahinerangi?

Hi all, I'm wondering if anybody has done the drive from Lawrence to Dunedin via Lake Mahinerangi? (Waipori Road/Waipori Falls Road.) It's marked on my map as an unsealed road and I'm wondering if it's driveable in a regular car or 4WD only.

We need to visit farming relatives in Ettrick and St Bathans. Coming from Wanaka, we could go St Bathans - Ettrick - Dunedin on that route, or Ettrick - St Bathans - Dunedin via Middlemarch.

I've been through Middlemarch many years ago (memories hazy), never been through Lake Mahinerangi. What would you do?

Thanks!

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,461 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anybody driven through Lake Mahinerangi?

I did that drive years many ago with my dad - I don't recall if we drove by car or the farm ute. But it was an interesting road and I do remember lots of narrow wriggly bits of road, especially near Waipori Falls. I think I asked dad at one stage if we were still on a road and not a private farm track.

Middlemarch is my favourite route - though I actually think it more scenic direction when going Dunedin - Middlemarch than Middlemarch - Dunedin.

but no matter which way you go, you won't be disappointed :)

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Anybody driven through Lake Mahinerangi?

Thanks WL!

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
1,797 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anybody driven through Lake Mahinerangi?

The Lake Mahinerangi road is a intersting route as it shows you one of the remote parts of the south island that is very scenic or its snow tussock. It is not a short cut, but it is a fun drive if you have the time.

The middlemarch road is my choice of route between Dunedin and Queenstown for its scenery.

Wellington
Level Contributor
350 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anybody driven through Lake Mahinerangi?

Depending on the weather (eg: at this time of the year, when there is snow at times) that road could get a bit marginal in a non-all wheel drive vehicle.

I've only flown over the area, in light aircraft. and the three times I happened to be flying that way in Winter, there was snow on the ground.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
8,117 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anybody driven through Lake Mahinerangi?

I drove through there weekly way back in the 70s. Always in a 2wd car. (Used to maintain the telephone switch)

It was a good gravelled road in those days. Snow may cover it for 4 or 5 days a year which would require chains.

In those days it was a very pretty trip. Since then a lot of development has occured so I expect the road would be improved.

Ahh..nostalgia is not what it used to be.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Anybody driven through Lake Mahinerangi?

Thanks everybody. We'll be travelling in January, so we should be good. I haven't decided which way to go yet, it might depend out the rellies and what suits them time-wise, but it's nice to know both are possible. :)

7. Re: Anybody driven through Lake Mahinerangi?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2014, 05:19