We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

September Weather

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
September Weather

Dear All,

Am travelling from Sept 1-15 to NZ, South Island. Flying into Christchurch and fly out from the same. Am planning to drive around the island covering Christchurch - Wanaka-Queenstown-Milford Sound-Fox Glacier - Punakaiki-Christchurch.

Needed some expert opinion on the weather during that time and since I am travelling with kids (7 year and 2 year), should I be carrying something extra...is it generally safe and easy to drive around during this time (from a snow & ice perspective...considering that i stay in Singapore, have never driven in snow).

Thanks in advance.

Fiordland National Park, Milford...
350 Reviews
from US$162.30*
Te Anau Glow Worm Caves Tour
245 Reviews
from US$68.60*
Likely To Sell Out
Franz Josef Helicopter Flight and...
253 Reviews
from US$338.70*
5-Day South Island Tour from...
51 Reviews
from US$1,250.70*
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,988 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: September Weather

Welcome to the forum :)

There will be fresh snow on the mountain tops but hopefully not on the roads. You are likely to have frosts, if so take care early morning if driving though it should thaw fairly fast.

You also might encounter spring rain, especially in Fiordland and the West Coast.

I hope your itinerary above isn't the exact route you plan to follow? It doesn't make best use of the scenery and you have some long drives. Post out your plans and we can improve them for you :)

Mentioned in this post
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
8,640 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: September Weather

Spring weather can be unsettled. While it should be mostly nice, it could cycle through (sometimes twice) all 4 seasons in a day. You need to have light layers, and a light but waterproof jacket.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: September Weather

Thanks for the replies. Like i mentioned before, my trip dates are : 2-15 sept. My proposed itinerary is as below :

Christchurch (1 night)

Christchurch - Franz Josef

Franz Josef (2 nights)

Franz Josef - Wanaka

Wanaka( 1 night)

Wanaka - Queenstown

Queenstown (2 nights)

Queenstown - Te Anau

Te Anau (2 nights : 1 day to Milford Sound)

Te Anau - Dunedin (via Gore)

Dunedin (2 night)

Dunedin-Oamaru/Timaru

Timaru (1 night)

Timaru - Christchurch

Christchurch (2 days)

am proposing to drive around in a Hyundai IMAX (7 seater), pls do let me know your views on what you feel on he itinerary , i want to include a LOTR kind of a day trip around Queensland if possible , any suggestions .....

i understand that the first leg and the road from te anau - dunedin is a long drive but i dont think there is an alternative unless i skip dunedin altogether (any thoughts on that)...i wanted to do lake tekapo too but dont know how to fit it in....

thanks a lot in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Queensland
Queensland
Australia
Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,895 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: September Weather

This year our winter has been mild, and whilst into August there is no snow or ice on the roads. September will be warmer , but it can be wetter. On the West Coast, it is not uncommon for it to rain 28 days out of the 30 days, but it never rains all day.

be prepared for very changable weather, rain jackets can be an essential. enjoy your holiday

Mentioned in this post
Santa Rita, Guam
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: September Weather

I am traveling the same time that you are, and while I have not yet been to NZ I can tell you what I am packing for my 6 year old because as we all know a cold unhappy kiddo makes everyone unhappy :) For my daughter I am packing lots and lots of layers, I may be packing to much but knowing how she may go through several outfits in a day especially when we are hiking I am ok with the possibility of overpacking. I have a warm coat, raincoat, rain pants, several pairs of merino wool socks, thermal underwear along with merino wool tights to wear as a base layer, fleece pants, lots of layers for the top from thermal base layers to wool to sweaters, oh and a couple hats, and a pair of waterproof hiking shoes. I am trying to bring at least two of everything so worst case she wears one while the other is drying.

We are accustomed to 90 degree weather so I am expecting it to be quite cold and damp for her so I am trying to plan accordingly. Hope this helps a bit.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
37,672 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: September Weather

The item you can probably leave out esp if travelling by car is the "warm coat" in years of living in the SI I only wore a warm coat for a wekk or two in July & August and that was for standing at the bus stop at 8am, rainwear, yes definitely if you intend to go ahead with walks on wet days. However I fondly remember a trip I made to show Aussie friends around the central South Island & lower half of the NI during the RWC and we had fabulous weather most of the time. The good things about Sept is fewer touirsts and the remains of snow on the Mtns which makes for great photos contrasted with green grass compare dwith the brown hills you get in summer.

Back to the OP - if you drivebTHROUGH Qtn on day 5 & go straight to Te Anau:

6. Milford Sound (sleep Te Anau)

7. Drive to Dunedin

8. Explore

9. Dunedin to Qtn

10. Explore

11. Explore more (LOTR tour

12. Drive to Mt Cook

13. Drive to Chch via Lake Tekapo

14. Explore Chch

15. Fly home.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: September Weather

I agree - a warm overcoat is bulky and often not that useful in NZ. When it's cold it's often also very wet, so extra fleece layers and a really good raincoat is more flexible and useful. We don't get much dry cold, especially as late as September. I have a knee-length Goretex coat with a heat-reflective coating on the inside. It cost me a lot (even getting it at sale price) but it has been worth every penny.

Kajang, Malaysia
Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: September Weather

Do you incl Punakaiki in your plan? I would suggest you go round the island anti-clockwise. That what I did it last year Aug.

This was my Itinerary.

Day 1: Travel KL-Sing-Christchurch.

Day 2: Christchurch - Kaikoura. We took SIA, arrived in the morning. I think that nothing much in Christchurch, so i skip Christchurch and drive to Kaikoura.

Day 3: Kaikoura. If you no plan for whale watch and dolphin, one night in Kaikoura is enough. Don't miss the Ohau waterfall.

Day 4: Kaikoura - Punakaiki. I drove Kaikoura-Blenheim-Picton-Nelson-Westport-Punakaiki, that more than 500km. Not really worth for the drive. May be you can try state highway 7 for shorter distance. Remember to check the blowhole schedule.

Day 5: Punakaiki - Franz Josef

Day 6: Franz Josef.

Day 7: Franz Josef - Queenstown

Day 8: Queenstown - Te Anau

Day 9: Milfird Sound (over night in Te Anau)

Day 10: Te Anau - Gore - Dunedin. I don't find much interesting places in Gore and Dunedin. I rather skip that drive and have more time in Mt. Cook and Lake Tekapo. Personally I like scenery rather than city.

Day 11: Dunedin

Day 12: Dunedin - Lake Tekapo

Day 13: Lake Tekapo - Christchurch

Day 14: Christchurch - Sing - KL

Spore
Level Contributor
69 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: September Weather

Hi,

Regarding the wet weather in September, what sort of rain do you usually have? Drizzle, rain that stops in a while, massive storm, horizontal rain with strong gust? I see that the temperature in September is quite mild, is MIlford / Doubtful Sound much colder or have a similar temperature to nearby towns like Te Anau?

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: September Weather

To quote an English friend of mine, "Wow, New Zealand's nice, but when it rains it bl00dy rains!" You are quite likely to get a few real downpours, especially in Fiordland. Spring can be a windy time too, with very changeable weather.